Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Right Man


Most of you are probably aware of the recent death of Washington Redskins Safety Sean Taylor. Taylor was killed at this home in Miami, the alleged victim a robbery. I was watching ESPN just before the Redskins Press Conference. A former player of Gibbs was being interviewed about how the team would approach and handle the death of their teammate. I was struck by what was said next.

The former (sorry – didn’t get his name) player said that Coach Gibbs was the right man to handle this situation. He then relayed how he himself while playing for the Redskins, had been injured and was going through rehab. He said one day he was at the Redskins Training Facility rehab his knee when Coach Gibbs asked him to come to his office. You can imagine the “threat level” this young man went to knowing that he was an injured player that had a high probability of being cut or traded as damaged goods.

When he walked into Coach Gibbs’ Office he noticed a board behind Gibbs’ desk. Gibbs pointed out the board and the fact that on it were all the names of the injured players, their injury, and their rehab status. Coach Gibbs complemented the player on his work ethic with respect to his rehab and then said the following:

“Don’t worry about the injury. You see this board, all the names, and your name? I come in each and every morning and I pray for all of you. I’m praying for you right now so work hard and trust in God.”

This player finished the story by saying that Coach Gibbs would bring in his relationship with God to help his team during this tragic loss. When I heard this story my heart was warmed and I want to get one of those boards.

I guess my board is my blog links. All of you are in my heart and prayers when I look at my site. May God bless each and every one of you.


Comments:
Thanks...

I love Coach Gibbs - that's why I'm sticking with his team in racing!
 
Thanks so much for sharing this story. It DOES warm the heart to hear of this kind of devotion and makes one believe in the overall good.
 
Thanks for sharing this Cecil, I don't comment enough but read your posts each time and appreciate your heart and also the prayers. Shalom!
 
This is a good story. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for your prayers for our family over the past 2+ decades!
 
You're a sweet man and a good friend. Thank you, Cecil.
 
Thank you for praying. Brady
 
I love Joe Gibbs too, but I also love that I can ask any of you to pray for me and that you will...that is a wonderful gift.
 
morning!
 
That's pretty cool. I think it's great when people in a position where media is everywhere are genuine about their faith in God.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?