Friday, December 11, 2009

To Focus on the Solution

Thank you for the comments on my last post and please accept my apologies for not bringing part 2 sooner than today.

You guys made great points. I think Greg identified the struggle between "focusing on the problem" vs. "focusing on the solution." There's this fear that if I focus more on the solution rather than the problem or in my example's case - giving a pencil to a student without making a big fuss (which BTW is where the coach / disciplinarian in me wants to go) , when or does it ever perhaps become enabling the offender? Is there a charge to "teach this kid a lesson" / "if I give you a bloody nose you'll think twice about doing that again" so to speak?

I think Paul explores that to some degree in Romans 6 when he writes:

1What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Paul seems to focus on the "solution" rather than the "problem" which in his case seems to be what some would see as the danger of teaching on grace might cause one to say, "I can just keep on sinning because I will always get grace."

What do we tend to do in churches - focus on the problem or the solution? Now trust me, my default programming is to be a "rules / draw a line in the sand" kind of guy. How ever the more I live the more I am coming to understand the following:

1. I don't understand as much as I thought I did.

2. All of us have problems / baggage.

3. All of us need the ultimate solution - God's grace in the guise of Jesus Christ.

4. We cannot "operate" or "run" our church's in fear of someone abusing grace.

Paul seems to say "trust in yours and others new life in Christ." There is nothing we can do about the past - it is the past. But we can focus on the here and now as well as the future and perhaps lead a fellow human from "the problem" and to the "solution," Jesus!

God bless you guys.




Comments:
I'm sorry, Cec, but I don't see anything in Romans about pencils and math classes! :)

Good points.
 
I am just grateful that there are shepherds like you who truly care about their flocks...and try to see beyond the problems.....and find solutions.
 
Greg - thanks and LOL! :)

Donna - Thank you. Its a journey to be sure but God is good!
 
Donna ... I know of no elder who cares more deeply about the people under his care than does Cecil Walker! I kid him a lot, but I would LOVE to have a shepherd like him in any church. Fortunately, because of our 26 years of friendship, I am sort of under his shepherding. He checks on us and prays for us on a regular basis. He and I have excellent spiritual discussions from time to time. We've been through a LOT of church crap over the years, hopefully encouraging one another through it all. I love him and his family as much as I love anyone on this earth.

But that doesn't mean I won't take him to task over anything he writes or his grammar!! :)
 
Greg - What you wrote means so much to me. In God's planning I am convinced that He put you and Janice (or would that be "Janice and you" :) ) in our lives to lead us to where we are today.

When Greg and Jan came to our church in Florida, I was a "3 softball leagues / 2 city league basketball leagues / fit in God as an afterthought kind of guy.

The debt I owe Greg as well as the people that I try to shepherd cannot be quantified so I'll just say thanks for being the brother that I never had.

O.K., anybody ready for a "chick flick?" :)
 
I love your numbered points. The older I get, the more these mean to me. I find that when I acknowledge that I really know very little, after all, I'm better off. I used to hear grace defined as "unmerited favor." That's actually prety good. Any favor from God in the way of His grace is definitely unmerited in my case.

And the relationship between you and Greg and your families warms my heart. I'm thankful to be able to glimpse it. And I, too, would LOVE to have you as "my" elder.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?