Thursday, December 24, 2009

Reasons Not to Run!!

I think we all know there are many benefits to starting a program of running in one's life. Of course we know that when you get to "our" or "my" age of 50 plus years, there are some drawbacks. Can you name them?

How about:

1. back pain

2. pulling what ever muscles you have left

3. knee and joint pain

And of course -

4. Wearing something that makes you look hideous to others!

Yesterday I discovered a new reason. I'll give you the setting - It was in the high 60's along the Indian River Lagoon. I was on the return leg of my 5K that I run along the River Road. I was probably within a half mile of our church building so I started my "51-year old kick" so to speak. I was running on the sidewalk passing one of the houses that face the river when: ?????

Feel free to take a guess. Unlike yesterday I'll give you the answer in this post but before you read it below, take a guess. If you want, tell me what you're first guess was in your comment.

O.K., ready? Guess -









































O.K., what did you guess. Yes, if you guessed a bee flew into my mouth and stung the back of my throat before I could (as my kids would say) "hock" him up, you're the winner! BTW - That puts me in the same category with "Bear Grylls" of the Discovery Channel Show, "Man vs. Wild." In all the things he's faced on that show, a bee sting near his eye almost cancelled the "whole series" if you know what I mean.

O.K., back to me. Well I felt it although I was pretty sure that I'm not allergic to bee stings but your throat is your throat. My first dilemma - do I run or walk back to the church building. I know, you guys are going to think, "He's dumber than dirt," when I tell you I chose to "run." Barb was finishing up on the preparations for our church dinner so she was somewhat occupied. She also gave me one of those "you've got to be kidding me - again" looks when I told her what happened and asked her to look at my throat.

It was hard to swallow but I didn't feel like my breathing was restricted. So we called son up to ask him to bring some Benadryl from home. He couldn't find any so I decided I would drive to a local convenience store. In the process I left my cell phone with Barbara. This was a cause of some stress on hers and son's part.

Due to the "convenience" (which wasn't very convenient to me) store not having Benadryl I had to drive to CVS. I'm sure I was gone for 30 minutes and in the mean time Barb and son are on "Red Alert" for Dad because they haven't a clue where I am and they can't get in touch with me.

Long story short:
1. I made it back to the building.
2. I was severely chastised for going off without my cell phone.
3. I was hugged for still being (dumb) alive.
4. I went home.

When Barb came home, I was able to pull the stinger out of the back of my throat with her help. So, as we hurdle into Christmas and the New Year, I'm reminded of Albert Einstein. When asked what was his formula for success he replied:

A = xyz

He defined his variables as:
"x" = the proper amount of work in one's life.
"y" = the proper amount of play in one's life.
"z" = knowing when to keep one's mouth shut!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Comments:
I wasn't even close! Judging from what would (and often HAS) happen to me, I figured you stubbed your toe on a rise in the sidewalk and fell face first on concrete!! What DID happen to you is awful. Glad you're okay. It reminds me of Doris' son, Johnny, who used to do a lot of motorcycle riding. One day, a bee actually flew in under his helmet and into his ear. Imagine that. He was in severe pain and stopped at a house he didn't know from Adam and ran up the driveway, grabbed the water hose and started squirting water in his ear. Bee continued to buzz, and he would up in the emergency room.

Merry Christmas to you, Barb, and Steven.
 
Judy - I don't know which one would be worse, in the ear or throat?? I'll take sitting at my computer away from any bee.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
 
i thouht ya fell on your face too!

or ya riped something :O


glad to hear ya r ok :)
 
jel - Those would have been 2 good guesses. Have a Merry Christmas.
 
I was thinking a broken bone. But there is a logistical problem with this layout ... we have to scroll past your answer to get to the comments section. So now I am going to guess you had a bee fly in your mouth and plant a stinger in the back of your throat.

Happens all the time to old people! :)

The worst part of your story is that you waited so long to actually get the stinger out of your throat! OUCH!
 
I just said, you tripped and fell, but your "trip" was much worse than i guessed. Hope all is better for you! Merry Christmas to you my brother.
 
Greg - I had a logistical problem with getting the stinger out - help. However and this goes without saying, getting the stinger out took the sting :) out of my ordeal!!

Keith - It is now brother.
 
I told you all that running was not good for you....I would prefer to think that is the problem and not having your mouth open too often....cuz, that would be an issue for me....

Glad you are okay....
 
This is terrible. I am so sorry but I'm going to use this as my excuse on why I can't the next time my friend at work invites me to go running with her ;)

Glad you're ok!
 
No, I didn't think you got stung by a bee. I was thinking more like someone sunbathing in a bikini and something to do with fire hydrants.

Happy New Year to you too.
 
Donna - one of my fellow elders asked me, "Is God trying to tell you something?" :)

Paula - You can tell your friend that you must "bee" careful when it comes to exercise. :)

Brady - Brother - I can only wish your reason was "the reason." :)
 
happy new year!
 
This brightened my day. Wish I'd read it sooner. Hope all is well with you now. Happy New Year!

-bill
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?