Tuesday, December 01, 2009

News Flash!

My fellow ( I haven't used this word in a while so if Randy is still reading, forgive the use of the "e-word" :) ) elders and I have been meeting once a week at 6a.m. to devote time to prayer. Our meeting place has been down by the Indian River near the historic downtown area.

A little caveat here, I don't publicize this to say, "Hey, look at us religious elders." Rather, like many of you I'm sure, we realized our prayers lives are at times, shallow at best. So we've started a journey with each other and God to attempt to be more consistent and deeper in our prayer lives and hence, the subject of my post today.

As I drove up to the downtown park on the Indian River, a news van from our local "Central Florida News Channel" was parked and had set an "on the scene" broadcast area on the riverfront. Now you know me, I couldn't resist having some fun with theirs and our presence.

But what ever I said did not top what my good friend Javier came up with. He pointed at the news van and said, "Hey everyone, news flash - elders are actually praying and we have evidence of it."

It was funny but at the same time sad but true. I do not mean this as an indictment on any one but I do wonder how many ministers and church leaders neglect the all important Christian discipline of prayer. I know I did. We're trying to be better and if you find time to pray yourself, feel free to mention a group of ragtag guys who are trying to lead their church in prayer.

Comments:
We could all improve our prayer lives, dear E-Cecil. :) Thanks for setting an example. (I have lifted you and your fellow Es up.)
 
Ah man! I thought this was going to be a "Tiger sighting" story!
 
Neat post, Cecil. I'm glad prayer is making the news! We need some good news in this country like that!!

Dee
 
Judy - Thanks. Prayer like our walk with the Lord, I think is a journey. I do "enjoy" talking to God as the sun is rising over the Indian River.

Terri - That was good. :)
Hey, even the Florida Highway Patrol can't get their own "Tiger sighting!"

Dee - Amen and the news itself will drive one to prayer. God bless.
 
I love being a part of a praying church. I am sure your church is glad its leaders know the importance of prayer.
 
Donna - We've had some folks who said they were encouraged by just knowing we were praying.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?