Friday, December 04, 2009

"I'm as mad at Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore"

Minus one word, this is the famous line from the 1976 movie, "Network." Our "Final Jeopardy" category is, "The Word in this Quote that was replaced." You have thirty seconds.
Ding-ding-ding-da-ding, ding-tha-ding

Did you get it? How much did you wager? Correct! I changed the word "as" to the word "at" to keep our "PG" rating. This line and its alteration came to me last night after I had dinner with our Preacher Don. As I mentioned in my November 2nd post entitled, "Another Phase," Don and another Preacher of a non-denominational church, have been busy forging a coalition of churches in our city to combat our growing drug and poverty problem.
To date their number is around 30. They have had several meetings and one inter-denominational Thanksgiving Service. Don told me they have had not one single rejection from any of the pastors they have approached. What they have had is two common responses:
1. Almost all of these preachers of denominational churches have expressed frustration with their denominational leaders in the area of dictating to them how and who they will work with.
They see the needs in our city and realize that this problem is going to take a concerted effort of Christians of all flavors.
Ready for #2?
2. Almost all of them have expressed a collective towards Don, "What are you doing here?" As in, we never thought we'd see the day that a Church of Christ preacher would want to work with folks outside the CoC denomination.
Don't get me wrong, they're happy to see Don but what does that say about our tribe? The baggage we've laid on church members and preachers is shameful not to mention the impression we've left with the "outside world." I thank God that in our city (and again, we're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination) these preachers have found a Church of Christ preacher (and hopefully a church) that's "mad at Hell and we're not going to take it anymore."

Comments:
I'm glad you have found a way to work inside it....but as for me, I can't say I am missing it...
 
I think you guys need to decide are you coC or not?
 
Yay! Chalk one up for good guys everywhere. Your stories like this warm my heart.
 
Judy - Thanks. When we get out of the way and join God in the work He wants His (I think of Matthew 25) people to be about, its amazing what can happen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?