Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mail Call

We've been praying for one of our brothers that is going through Army Basic Training. Josh sent me a letter the other day giving me a description of how hard "BT" was. He wrote, "Climbing Mt. Tweeto (the 13,700ft peak we climbed in Colorado a couple of years ago) was a cakewalk compared to what I'm going through now."

Josh has asked for letters but he has also asked that those of us at church follow his instructions to the (no pun intended) letter. It seems that if one doesn't follow "envelope" directions (no fru-fru colors, not putting a "1" with a circle around it on the flap, ect) Josh's Drill Sargent like the famous R. Lee Emery of the History Channel's "Mail Call" show, will tell him, "Drop and give me 25 pushups maggot!"

I was sharing this letter with the brothers at our Men's Bible Study when one of the men shared his "Mail Call experience" when he was going through BT. It seems that he had a girlfriend who lived in San (can you see this coming?) Francisco. She was good about writing him and would send him 3 to 4 letters a week.

The trouble was that he started dreading these letters because when his platoon gathered for Mail Call, his Drill Sargent would see the San Francisco address and yell out, "Hey, (name changed to protect the innocent) Smith's homo boyfriend from San Francisco just sent him another letter!" As I listened to his story and read Josh's letter I have to say, those of you who have served in the military are special people who deserve our respect and all the plain white envelopes we can find!

Comments:
Hey, Cecil -

Am just now getting caught up with your last few posts. You've had LOTS going on!!

As for BT & mail call - glad that never was ME!!

Dee
 
Bless Josh. I pray for him that BT goes well. When my brother went through basic a few years ago I know he had a whole new appreciation for the simple things.. letters from home, a few dollars to do his laundry.. a 5 minute phone call. Thank you to Josh for his service and to all who have served, and thank you for reminding us to all be thankful for those whose duty it is to protect us all and our freedom!
 
Dee - Good to see you again. Hope you're doing well.
 
Lee Family - Nice to have you on the program. I'll pass your thanks on to Josh.
 
Good advice to not get cute....I have utmost respect for those who can cut it in BT.
 
With all due respect to current BT, yesterday, our band director at Heritage–former Marine (never call a Marine an Ex-Marine) said that when his daughter was in Marine Corp BT they gave them a pink card that they could pull out once a day to get 15 minutes of relief from the drill sergeant. He said, "Not in my day." Oh well, we're all getting better and better the further we get from our memories.
Peace.
 
Donna - I tell my students that all the time. :)

Puck - I think we should hand those "stress cards" out at church if the sermon gets to stressful. :)
 
After reading the Puckster's comment, I think I just lost a little respect for the Marine Corps! A pink card? Give me a break! Can they take them to Iraq and Afghanistan for a 15-minute break from battle?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?