Monday, November 02, 2009

Another Phase

"Oh, he's just going through a phase." Have you ever said that about your kids, your spouse, or (if you're into talking about yourself in the third person) yourself? Do churches go through "phases?" I think they do if our church is any proof of that.

This past Saturday we past through another phase on our journey towards being truly non-denominational. Our preacher Don, has been forging a relationship with a mostly African American inner-city (this is a mouthful) non-denominational church, "Celebration Tabernacle." This relationship took another step as we held a joint Fall Festival at our church.

Our parking lot was awash with kids and adults of various ethnicity's. There was a spirit of fellowship that transcended the fact that we are citizens of the same city as there always is when the people of God get together.

Someone said they heard their pastor remark on how amazing it was that just a few months ago, many of us drove by each other buildings and never gave getting our churches together a second thought. Going through phases as a church isn't always pain free but I can tell you this, the doors God will open far outweighs avoiding the pain. To God be the glory.

Comments:
Wow..that is great. I feel bad that we missed it...but I know we will have many more
 
lauramay - We did miss you guys. You and Neil have been in our prayers.
 
I'm glad to hear this story. It just seems like it takes so long to truly get there!
 
Terri - Thanks Terri. Our church was stuck in the "takes so long" mode for many years. It seems that for some reason, God has put us on the fast track or at least the fast track as far as churches in our area go.
 
I can't see this ever happening where I worship, but I've come to believe it would be a good thing.
 
This is an exceptionally GOOD phase to be going through. Much respect to Don and your leadership team, and the church for supporting it. In other words, I'm proud of all of you. Proud to know that at one time I was actually invited by your church to come and teach for a weekend, even if I did make some comments that really ticked off one of the elders at that time!!
 
Greg - that means alot to me. And for the record, I wasn't the one that was ticked off unless it had something to do with who was paying for dinner. :)
 
Priase God.
I think that is so wonderful!
We all should be striving to work with others.
Our cities do need Jesus!
 
preacherman - You are so right and the good thing is, we can still be "us" and work with others.
 
Just for the record, I like churches with "tabernacle" in the name! Keep rockin' on.
 
good stuff. you encourage me with your Phases....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?