Tuesday, October 20, 2009

S.C. Road Trip / 1st Set of Pictures

I have always been a "road trip" kind of guy. We had promised my good friends, Bob and Shelby, we would come to South Carolina and watch their son play. Nathen plays offensive tackle for his high school football team. I was impressed with the sophistication of their offense. They run the popular "spread offense" of which their version is "no huddle, " everyone looks at the sidelines for the plays to be signaled in, and then they look on their wrist band for the corresponding play, and run it. It was unfortunate that Nathen's team came up on the losing side of the game but if I had been grading the lineman, I would have given Nathen the highest grade.

These are strange times for us. With Steven away at college this was our first trip to see our friends without him being with us. Then seeing a kid who I knew from when he was a baby who is now taller than me playing a great game of high school football, well, life moves on doesn't it?

Our good friends, next door neighbors, and fellow church members, Monty and Sally made the trip with us. It was great to have company on our trip and we were all ready for a spell of cooler temperatures. Central Florida recently set a record for number of days in October with the highs at 90 or above.

Friday morning saw the ladies head out for some "retail (as I hear you ladies call it) therapy" while the guys headed for 18 holes of "out in the middle of nowhere" golf. That night was our version of "Friday Night Lights" as we attended Nathen's game. The pictures that will follow was courtesy of one of their traditions. Win or lose, after the game parents and friends gather on the field to greet the team. They're were lots of hugs, "I'm proud of you son," and friendly / now that the game is over welcome back into the "real world" greetings.

Saturday morning saw more retail therapy for the ladies and an occasion for me to use "dam" language. When we got up to a nice breakfast made by Shelby, I knew that the guys were going for a walk across Lake Murray Dam. So I got things started by walking into the living room and greeting everyone with, "I need a good "Dam" (as in Lake Murray Dam) walk today." I can't even begin to count the number of puns that were made with the word "dam" after that. There's even a restaurant close to the Dam called, "Best Dam Restaurant."

Saturday afternoon and into the evening was quality "family time" as we sat around the T.V. and watched college football. At least the guys did. I think the ladies were watching reruns of Oprah or the "W.E." Channel. Actually, my wife watched most of the Fl. Gators vs. Arkansas (sorry Terri or Mr. Riley) game. She loves Tim Tebow.

I'll leave with some pictures:

From left to right: Me, a smiling Nathen, and Monty.

Bottom row: Barb who is obviously freezing in 50 degree weather, Sally who looks just as cold, Shelby - Nathen's Mom. Back Row: Me or just to top part of my head, Nathen, and Monty.

Bottom row from left to right: Barb, Nathen, Sally.

Back row: Me, Bob - Nathen's Dad, and Monty.




Comments:
That FL/AR game was a good one, for sure. The outcome didn't bother me too much. I can't speak for Mr. Riley.

In Little Rock, there is the Big Dam Bridge.
 
always surreal to read about your adventures in my home town.

Thanks for NOT discussing the dining experiences you may have had.
 
Terri - Give Mr. Riley my condolences. :)

P-Daddy - I didn't even think about making you homesick and if it does make you feel any better, we did not make to Shealy's. :)
 
Wow...that looked great! You all seemed to have a great time. Sure did miss seeing you on Sunday but totally understand why you took a trip North.
 
lauramay - We missed you guys and Central as well. It was great to see Bob who I have known since the 3rd grade or roughly 43 years.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?