Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Gym

I just came from watching "our" boys from my middle school play a school that I taught and coached at in the 80's and early 90's. Kids love it when you come to see them play or cheer. I get lots of, "Hey Mr. Walker, you came to the game," or , "Hi Mr. Walker."

This particular gym was once my gym for most of my "pre-Steven" days. Then I was called "Coach" more than my "teacher name" although I still taught then. This particular gym wasn't air-conditioned in those days as it is now. In fact, I ran into the guy that I coached with during that time.

We hugged each other and speculated how much longer we might have coached if the gym had been air-conditioned back then. He's retired now and hopefully, hopefully, I might be just a few years behind him. We both still have a love of kids and basketball but younger (or some might say dumber) guys do it now in our stead. He subs once or twice a week and I'm still in the classroom.

I have to admit that when I walked into that gym I experienced some "warm fuzzies." Will it be like that in Heaven when this life is over? Walking into an air-conditioned gym and seeing folks who knew you then and smile, grab your hand, and give you great big bear hugs as joy explodes from relationships renewed.

I bet Jesus gives the best bear-hugs.
Signing off here and feeling good.

Comments:
I like that idea!
 
I love places that give me that feeling of belonging. The strangest thing is when you feel it in a new place....
 
Yesterday a student I had five years ago came by for some Calculus tutoring. He was tutoring others and bringing me the questions he couldn't answer. It was great to see him, but when you don't see a high school senior for five years they are quite unrecognizable. Once I figured out who he was, I got those warm fuzzies.
 
My heart believes heaven WILL be like that.
 
Terri - Me too.

Donna - Yes!

Math Bro - Send me your email address. I've lost it somehow.

I know what you mean, I have kids that visit as sophmores and I can't tell who they are.

Judy - Me too.
 
Having officiated more than a few games in that gym, they definitely needed to install A/C. If going to heaven is anything like Clearlake Gymnasium, I may start enjoying "the pleasures of sin for a season" a bit more while here on earth! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?