Monday, October 26, 2009

Geezer Smack

As much as I'd like to say this is a cool picture of me slamming a spike during a game of beach volleyball (and I know many of you out there will be shocked that it isn't) I cannot. But for over a year, some of our best friends and my son's college roommate parents, have invited folks over to their home on Sunday afternoons for fellowship and beach volleyball. There are times when the makeup of the crowd is mostly teens and college age kids and then of late, its been some teens and young families.
There are times when this 51 year old's body feels 25 again. Yesterday was one of those days when not only was I playing my area or "space," I was invading everyone else's "play (Remember Johnny's admonition to Baby, "This is your dance space and this is my dance space.") space. Someone even asked Barb if she could "control me?" She smiled and basically said, "When he gets like this you just have to let him go until he exhausts himself." :)

As the light was waning yesterday with the advance of night, 8 of us played one last game of 4 on 4. Our four consisted of one guy in his mid-30's and the rest of us were my age or (sorry Monty) older. Our opponents were 21 or younger. They quickly jumped out to a 13 to 6 lead and the game was to 15.
Jim Rome who has radio and T.V. Sports Talk Shows uses a word that basically means "talking trash to your opponent and that word is "smack." Lets just say that at this point, the smack starting flowing from the youngsters such as:

1. Let us know when you're going to hit the ball back over the net.
2. Since you guys are old and blind, we'll tell you when to "listen" for the ball.
3. From the movie "Christmas Vacation," "Hey, isn't it time for you geezers to eat something so you can take your back pills."

Well as luck would have it, yours truly started serving at 6 to 13. Now I would like to say that the number of points we began to win were mostly due in part to my devastating serve and you know what, I think I'll say it, "We began to win point after point due to my devastating serve." O.K., with that out of the way lets also factor in that it was really getting dark at this point.

When we scored our 7th straight point tying the game at 13 to 13, the "smack" began to reverse direction. My good friend Bret got off the best smack salvo with, "Hey, isn't it time for you kids to take your medicine and go to bed!" We ended up serving out the game and won 15 to 13 - one for geezers everywhere!

Now I'm a realist and I realize that the day of smack talking flowing away from me to younger folks are steadily declining but for one night in West Cocoa, it was good to be a geezer! Ouch, I think I just pulled a muscle.

Comments:
way to score one for the old folks!!

We have fun playing the "kids" in tennis too....sometimes patience will trump young legs...
 
Donna - There is something to say for "experience" unless one is too out of breath by being too old to say anything. :)
 
You make all geezers everywhere proud!
 
Greg - Thanks - I say we re-take this world in the name of "Geezerhood!" Geezers of the World rise up, well, carefully rise up and let's get out there! :)
 
I'm afraid I qualify as a real geezer. If I'd been there, all I could have contributed would have been sitting on the sidelines and cheering you on, rubbing on my Ben-gay and aching just from watching you. :) The 'smack' thing is good. Reminds me of playing softball with the younger folks at church. One young lady told us older ladies we needed to 'turn up our pacemakers!'
 
Rock on with the geezer smack! Now that my shoulder is healed maybe time for geezer rules at Camp Ithiel!
Peace.
 
Judy - LOL!

Puck - Lets get it on and rock the youngsters with some Camp Ithiel Coordinator smack! :)
 
In my experience, the key to beating kids is getting them overconfident and then having them blame each other when things start to fall apart. I'm sure you intentionally spotted them 13 points.

way to go.
 
P-Daddy - I know I've use this phrase before, "Now we have them where we want them." :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?