Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm sure many of you are or are going to read Francis Chan's book, "Crazy Love." I'm currently reading it so I thought I'd drop a few gems that have hit me on my journey towards having a "crazy love" for God.

In one part of his book he writes about what our lives should be about. He illustrates this by reminding the reader of "the brevity of life." He writes that somewhere between 45 and 125 billion people have lived on our planet. If you're into numerals it looks like 45,000,000,000 and 125,000,000,000. Another way he illustrates the brevity of life is by stating that in roughly 50 years (give or take a few decades), no one will remember you. You will be dead and so will most of those who would have remembered you.

Chan asks an obvious question, "Are you ready?" Remember Matthew 10:32- 33

32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

This may seem like a dark (duh!) post. Hang in there and get the book if you haven't already purchased it.

Comments:
I'm only in Chapter 2 of the book but right now, I feel totally insignificant. God is so huge, I don't know why he would even bother with me but somehow, I think he does.

I'll continue reading and see how my thinking changes.
 
Thanks for the recommendation. It may go on the stack for later.
 
Last year I attended the National Outreach Conference w/ Randy and Brad where Chan was a keynote speaker the last night of the conference. Each attendee got a free copy of his book. It's an excellent read and gives you a LOT to think about.

I might have said there are hundreds of tapes and CDs at Long Beach of my sermons over the 15 years I preached there, so I would be remembered. However, the last time I was over there, all the tapes and CDs were gone! I've only been away just over two years and they are already getting rid of the evidence!
 
Terri - Keep reading. :)

Steve - Good to see you Math Bro. It's worth a "stack." :)

Greg - Have they found any remnants of my sunglasses? :)
 
Sounds like a read that will help me find more about the calling on my heart for God!!
 
Man, Cecil! I read this just after 6am on Thursday. What a way to start my day!! I think I'll start waiting 'til noon or so to read your posts just in case you have another book recommendation! :)
 
Keith - That's a good way to put it for all of us. :)

Judy - I thought it might have that effect. Hey, this might mean my blog is one of those "after dinner blogs." :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?