Monday, September 28, 2009

Coming Through

Have you ever needed a weekend from your weekend? That's where I'm at as I type another award (I give out the awards) winning post. This past Saturday at Parent's Weekend, I ran in the "Family Fun Walk / Run." The distance was 2.2 miles along the Intercoastal waterway. I figured the "run" would mostly be comprised of parents. I figured wrong.

The Basketball Coach decided to use this event as a way for his players to meet some parents as well as get in a little morning conditioning. As the race was about to start, one of the college officials asked all the "runners" to move towards the front of the (probably had about 50 folks there) line.

I somehow ended up near the front and just behind the basketball players. As we started running they began to set a very, very, non-51 year old pace. I don't know if this makes sense but my pace was not theirs and neither was it mine for I found myself almost in as much of a sprint as my "splints" will allow.

At about the 3/4 mile mark I began to reel in some of the basketball players. It was at that point that I experienced a so-called "mini-runners high" as I caught up with some of the big (and I mean BIG - one guy was 7ft 4in tall!) guys and then had to yell out, "Coming through," as I passed between them.

What could have been their possible thoughts?

1. Who is that geezer?
2. I didn't know they made "roids" for geezers?
3. Who's going to do CPR on the old guy at the turnaround point?
4. Maybe that's why I'm on the bench?

What do you think?

Comments:
Did you win?

I think they were impressed...
 
Donna - No, finished around 15th out of about 50. I think they were or they were mad. :)
 
Hey, Cecil -

You are DEFINITELY NOT a geezer by any stretch of the imagination and you just proved it!

Way to go, Cecil!!

Cheers! Dee
 
Dee - Thanks and I appreciate that. I sure felt like one at the finish line. :)
 
Looks like somebody has to man up and tell you the gut level truth: Running will eventually kill you!
 
You rock, Cecil! I'm jealous.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?