Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cincinnati

After getting back from Greg's and SoCal, we had a couple of weeks for a "break" before we (as the Beverly Hillbillies Theme song kind of said) "loaded up the bus and headed for Cincinnati." That is, we headed out for Cincinnati with our Youth Group to give back to Pat Pugh and his church. I say "give back" because Pat has given so much to our church, kids, and week of Bible Camp for the last 3 years.

On a personal note, I feel that some of our "kids" desires to enter ministry is partly a result of seeing Pat in action, keeping it real for Jesus as he might say.

Our task was to put on a VBS for his church in inner-city Cincinnati. Now, since we're heading into the weekend and I like to end on a light note, I'll save some details of our trip for later but I'll end on a story that will give you some insight into my sometimes "O.C.D." mind.

We stayed at a Bible Camp in the rolling Ohio farm land outside the City. My bunk mates in my "Cabin" were Chad, our Youth Minister, and two of our college kids. On the second or third night at the Camp, I had the occasion to be the last man into our Cabin. Chad and our college guys were still awake but already in bed.

As I began to go through my "preparations" for bed, the college guys would periodically burst out into laughter. Now, without giving you an unwanted mental picture, I wasn't even close to being "undressed" for bed which understandably could have generated laughter from a couple of punks, I mean young brothers in Christ. After the third outburst of shaking beds and uncontrollable laughter, I had to ask, "What?"

The college guys first said to Chad, "Chad, you're a prophet." This brought the same question from me, "What!?" Then Chad proceeded to explain that having "slept" (in a Christian way) with me in Colorado, West Virginia, Louisiana, and now Ohio he was privy to my "getting ready for bed madness."

You see, when the college guys laid down in their beds and said, "Man, I'm tired and ready to sleep," Chad told them it was too early since I wasn't in the Cabin yet and they would have another 10 minutes of my apparently very discernible, repeated, and comical routine of talking to myself as I methodically undressed, emptied my pockets, put everything in a certain place, laid my next day's clothes out, and made preparations for having to get up in a moment's notice in the middle of the night. All of this according to Chad, while I talked my way through it. I could have been mad or perhaps embarrassed but the sad truth is, it's true!! Now I know why Barb asks almost every night, "Are you coming to bed?" I use to think that was a redundant question but with Chad's help I now know it's been a 28 year old plea for, "Would you hurry up so I can sleep!"

I'll end this post here because by my calculations now that I know I'm weird, I have to start getting ready for bed.

Upcoming Posts
"These Aren't Your Cabins"
"Hanging Out With CUMO and the Community Center"
"The Flaming Word"
"Beltless Non-Denomination"

Comments:
TOO funny! I guess I now know that I go to bed pretty much in a haphazard way! Have a good weekend, my friend. :)
 
We are all weird in one way or the other...
 
Judy - The next night I made sure I was in the cabin / shed first and when the guys walked in I said, "Good night," and dove into the bed with my clothes, shoes, and lack of obsessive routine. The guys looked at me and said, "Sorry, we're not buying it."

I couldn't help myself as I got up and started talking myself back into bed.

Donna - Yep, "I are one."
 
Ortberg wrote a book that could have been about you. Title: Everyone is normal until you get to know them.
 
Greg - Sounds interesting although in light of this post perhaps a better title would be, "Cecil's Normal Until You Sleep With Him." :)
 
I still can't get this terrible mental picture out of my head. Thanks brother!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?