Monday, May 25, 2009

We have some great friends at church, Bret and Sharon. He is (as I've alluded to in the past) our Youth Deacon and unofficial "M.O.M" or in this case, "Minister of Mohawks." It was 3 or 4 years ago that Bret rewarded my son for helping him move a chicken coup with a Mohawk haircut.

Bret and Sharon have a regulation beach volleyball court in their yard. For almost a year now, there have been a group of us from church comprised of (as some say in the South) "add-dults," college, and high school kids that have met at their home on Sunday afternoons for fellowship, food, and beach volleyball. Their yard is truly a melting pot of generations as young kiddos come as well to play in their huge yard and swim in their pool. Those who do neither (volleyball or play) may be the most intelligent of our gaggle as they sit by the court and enjoy what appears to be a reasonable facsimile of beach volleyball.

Yours truly continues a tradition that has been part of my sports competitiveness since my younger days. I was always known for being the "dirtiest" player of the bunch and that doesn't refer to any comparison to former Detroit (anybody remember the "Bad Boy" teams) Piston, Bill Laimbeer. No, if the game is played on grass or in this case dirt, there would invariably be more of that material on my person than any other player on the field or in this case court.

In fact, one of Steven's good friends coined a phrase that is usually used when they're on the court with me, "E.D." Yes, usually when I step on the court Zack will usually mutter, "Hey, looks like we have "E.D." again." BTW - "E.D." stands for (sorry Randy if you're reading) "Elder Diving." How about that for a moniker?

I don't know how many "E.D.'s" I have left in this ever aging body but I do know this - when they end I'll still have fun just being with "the Body" on a Sunday afternoon, just as the early church enjoyed and looked forward to times of fellowship.

I hope you had a great day of fellowship with your church family even if you didn't get as dirty as I did.

Comments:
I see commercials on television all the time for medications to help with ED. I don't think they are talking about elder diving. But I could have completely mistaken the commercial ... you know how the male mind can run in another direction.
 
As I've exhibited in the recent past, I don't know much about the male mind, but somehow I'm not surprised at where Greg's went!! :)

In a completely different vein, it must be wonderful, Cecil, to do this sort of thing on a regular basis because you WANT to spend time with "family." So much of the time, it's done in the church fellowship hall under the guise of, well, fellowship.
 
In this day and age any explanation of ED (even so far as using the word) is necessary.
 
Greg - Did I say I needed help? :)

Judy - You must forgive Greg. Greg, please say 12 "Hail Cecil's" and all will be forgiven. :)

I've found the most meaningful and "best" times of fellowship for me is being with the church family outside the church building. Not that fellowship inside isn't good as well.

Randy - Does that make me "Mr. ED." Makes me want to say, "Hello Wilbur," and "Hey Buddy-boy." :)
 
Sadly, I don't think I got one speck of dirt on me at church Sunday... I spilled strawberry ice cream down my shirt later in the day, does that count?
 
Terri - Absolutely. To coin a "teacher phrase," "You used your time wisely."
 
My son must be cut from the same "dirty" cloth. He comes home with half a baseball feild in his socks, pockets and pants. He needs to be hosed off before he gets in the shower just so he won't clog the drain. He would definitely be the character Pigpen in Peanuts. He told me me "You can't have fun and stay clean." He must be having fun for 10 people.
 
Dusty Chris - Welcome to the program and your son is right.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?