Monday, May 18, 2009

Skillet Cheesecake

The tickets had been bought for weeks. 15 of our high school and college kids were celebrating the beginning of summer by going to the Skillet Concert at the Northland Church in Orlando this past Friday. Barb and I along with 4 other adults drove our church bus from Cocoa to Orlando. The concert was sold out so the kids were unanimous about leaving as early as possible to get a "good seat." We pulled out of our parking lot at 4:30 and arrived in front of the huge Northland Church around 6pm. The kids were excited as we dropped them off and they were able to get near the front of the line. The tickets were "open seating" which should have been their first clue.

We drove 8 miles to the Cheesecake Factory Restaurant in Winter Park. If you've never been to a Cheesecake Factory Restaurant there's almost too much to talk about - the 20 something page menu, the variety, the ambiance, the huge portions, and the multiplicity of cheesecakes!

We had a great evening of a/c, good food, quiet and dark ambiance, and plenty to eat.
The teens, that was a different story - when the 7pm show ended at 10:30pm, they came out of the Northland Church drenched in sweat. Seems the A/C couldn't handle the overflow crowd of people and open seating meant no seating and 3 and a half hours of standing.

Yet, who do you think was more excited about their evening? The teens could not stop talking about how good (yes - there were girls in our group) the concert was as well as sharing the experience together. Do we lose something as we get older?

I know, some of you will say they're "young and dumb" but are they or do we get to a point in life where standing for 3 and a half hours, praising and sweating for God just loses its luster? I guess its why I like hanging out with our young people, of course, provided I can have my cheesecake.





Comments:
sounds like a great evening was had by all...

I probably would have much rather sweated with the kids....
 
I would have chosen the CF as well, even though they have cut down tremendously on the size of each slice of cheesecake, while raising the price. But the portions of their meals is plenty for two people.
 
Does the CF have anything sugar-free? :)

I think I know people who might not want to SIT for 3-1/2 hours w/o ac to hear ANYBODY sing and would not appreciate sitting through a 20 minute sermon in the heat! (I'd do it, but.........) Although the Memphis in May Barbecue Cooking Contest does not compare to time spent praising God, I'm reminded of it, because it just closed on Saturday. As usual, there was rain rain rain up to and during part of this yearly event, so mud was in a lot of unhandy places. The news showed people just having a ball, and I had to admit that NONE of it looked like fun to me! I guess I'm getting old, huh!! :)
 
Donna - Me too but as Greg will tell you, "The Cheesecake Factory" is my "Graceland." :)

Greg - I say this with a huge smile on my face Bro - you are truly a "glass half empty (or in this case - cheesecake half sized :) ) guy." :)

Judy - Believe it or not they do and my wife was the only good one of us who had it. I had to confess my sins last night at WW but, I made my weight for May - 14 straight months under 189! :)

I'm sure my 5 mile run helped yesterday.
 
As I get older, I find there are a few things like you've described here that I just can't or don't want to do anymore. For instance, I went to the midnight showing of the Indiana Jones movies last summer and realized that I'm too old for that now.

But I still get up for concerts. I was on the floor with the youngsters for Green Day and had a blast. Of course, we had A/C for that.
 
Steve - He's back!! Good to see you in your Green Latern attire
 
glad y'all had a good time


but am "BUMMED OUT" cause going by the "Skillet cheesecake" post

thought U were going to tell how to make it! :( :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?