Monday, April 20, 2009

You're On My List

I’m sure many of you remember John Wooden, the fabled “Wizard of Westwood” who’s UCLA Basketball Teams won 10 national championship, including seven in a row from 1966-73. His teams set an NCAA record of consecutive wins (88) over a span of four seasons. He is the only coach to have four 30-0 seasons. And during his time at UCLA, his teams were 149-2 at Pauley Pavilion. Those numbers in all likelihood will never be duplicated again.

During this unprecedented run, Coach Wooden was once asked if he had a secret or method to scouting opponents. His answer was fairly succinct. He said, “We don’t worry about what the other team is doing. We work on what we’re going to do in a game and let our opponents worry about us.” This quote came to mind when I was thinking about our subject today.

Recently it came to my attention that our church had been listed on a list that someone had posted on the internet with respect to fellow Churches of Christ not doing things exactly as this particular brother believes things should be done. I suppose his intended purpose was to embarrass those on his list as well as warn others to tow the line or they’re church could end up on his list.

I'd like to be like Coach Wooden in this regard. We will pray, teach, plan, and coach our body of believers that comprise our “team” and not worry about the opposition. It seems they are doing enough of it for all of us. I will say this as I’ve tried to say in the past, our church nor any of the others on that “List” are perfect nor are they any kind of model to be emulated. I suppose they are full of flawed, known sinners who by the grace of Jesus Christ are on the only list that matters, the one you’ll find in the “Lamb’s Book of Life.” So we’ll continue to be a non-denominational Church of Christ.

One final comment about “the list” – As I heard a brother once say, “Jesus didn’t get nailed to two boards by playing is safe.” I’d say that would include “lists” as well.
God bless.

Comments:
Amen! I think I've said this before, but isn't this what autonomy is all about? After all, we have prided ourselves for lo these many years because we don't have an "association" or some such to answer to.........because we are a-u-t-o-n-o-m-o-u-s! There is a division in our fellowship who will come out and tell you they don't believe in autonomy and a group of them can get together and close a church's doors if they aren't adhering to the chalk line. But then some who DO believe the congregations are autonomous have a list! Go figure.
 
Judy - Absolutely. I’m convinced that the Devil keeps us down by the non-practice of church autonomy. I'm reminded of Jesus' words in John 13 - 34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
 
That makes me kind of hope my Church is on that guy's list. We need to be praying for that list guy. He sounds like someone trying to love a God he's never met.
 
My greatest disappointment in 30+ years of ministry was that I, nor the churches in which I preached, ever made a list.
 
Josh - No doubt. I say this with zero sarcasm, for someone to have enough time to come up with the idea for such a list, then do the “research” to decide who should be on the list, and not to mention what seems to be the volumes and volumes of material some of these folks generate you have to wonder about their personal walk with Jesus.

Not that mine is perfect but I know at times I struggle with trying to be intimate with God through prayer and study without having the time to do the above.

Greg - Maybe you did and you didn't know it? :)
 
Way to go! If you are not on someone's "list" you are not making enough waves....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?