Thursday, April 30, 2009

Where Were You In 1992?

The year was 1992. Here are some 1992 facts:

My son was 2 years old.

For you Tide fans:
NCAA Football Champion - Alabama 13-0

NBA Champions - Jordan's Chicago Bulls defeat the Portland Trailblazers 4 games to 2

Top 5 Movies:
1. Home Alone 2. Batman Returns 3. Lethal Weapon 4. Sister Act 5. Aladdin

Most Popular T.V. Shows:
1. 60 Minutes (CBS) 2. Roseanne (ABC) 3. Home Improvement (ABC) 4. Murphy Brown (CBS)5. Murder, She Wrote (CBS)

O.K. - Why the 1992 love affair? 1992 was the first year I attended the Pepperdine Bible Lectures. I kept that streak running for 16 straight years until last year when my son graduated from High School (Mama thought I should be home for that) and we planned a trip with our Youth Group to go on the Wilderness (http://www.wildernesstrek.org/) Trek in Colorado.

My first Pepperdine Lecture gave me a sense of identity as to our larger fellowship. I did not grow up in the Churches of Christ and so I was largely unaware of our Christian Institutions. I remember standing outside of the Smother's Theater one night as a crowd was coming out of an evening worship service. The night was cool and the sky was clear. I remember thinking, "So this is who I am."

As good as that experience was I was also in need of healing and inspiration. Greg had left our church to go to "the Beach." Our church took a turn into traditionalism that ended up introducing me to the parts of our heritage that I reject. Its the parts that has taught some of our people that we're the only ones going to Heaven, you must do worship in this manner and in these steps or you'll bust Hell wide open, and to use any means, no matter how despicable to eliminate, banish, and squash anything or anyone that falls outside these norms. I was dying spiritually but I wanted to continue with my walk. Each year Pepperdine gave me hope in the glimpses that it would give me of the best of our Fellowship. I owe and my family owes a huge debt of gratitude to Jerry Rushford.

Fast forward to 2009. My son is completing his freshman year of college. The church I attend has the kind of inspiring worship that in the past was just a dream. We claim the best our Fellowship has to offer while trying to be an autonomous / non-denominational group of known sinners who have been made holy by the blood of Jesus Christ. We like to say that our church is on a journey. Boy, that's an understatement! :)

But since 1992 I have been on a journey and on Saturday I will make another journey west. I won't be alone as I'll be travelling with my good friend, Steve (aka "the Puckster") Puckett. I will renew my "every-day friendship" with Greg, Janice, and Josh. Of course Josh will be a bit busy now that he is married to Heather, running a business, and has 3 kids under 2! Jessica will be unable to see us this time but she will be there in the sweet spirit that she possesses. I will miss seeing my good friends at my "western church home," the Long Beach Church but I look forward to going to Greg's new church.

Finally, this will be my first Pepperdine Lecture where the evening worship will not be at the top of my list of things to do. It seems that things at my home church really connect with me. Oh, I'll go to some of them but I might try to find that tree that Greg and Randy used as their "Lectureship Central." :)

Comments:
"92" a bad year
almost my last year at bee~in here

hope ya have a good Pepperdine visit!
 
Roll Tide...

I wish I was going this year...but I like you (but for different reasons) don't feel the spiritual need that I once did...although I could use the refreshing...

Have fun and be careful...eat a tri-tip or whatever it is called for me.
 
jel - Wow - glad you're still here and blogging! :)

Donna - Ah, the wonderful Wood Ranch! Yes, its tri-tip and they seem to have the best unless you ask Greg. :)
 
I was just a baby in 1992. I was 29 for the first time! :)

I think maybe next year I can get out there again.
 
Even if you find that tree, it's not the same sans Dr. Wray and Your's Truly.
 
Teri - I was Larry Bird's number - 33. I hope you and Mr. Riley make it back out to P-dine. We'll make a trip to the Wood Ranch for some tri-tip.

Greg - I agree. :)
 
1992 ... about the only thing good that year was the Bama championship. I remember having my Bama jersey over the lectern stand for my Bible class at church that morning ... or was it over the pulpit?? Anyway, it was also the final year for us at Rockledge as we prepared to make a move to anywhere but there. We flew out to Long Beach over the last weekend of January, '03 and moved in April of that year. After seven really bad years of ministry, it was in 1992 that I could finally see a light at the end of a dark tunnel.
 
I watched the Alabama game from my home in Cody, Wyoming. It was exciting, and we cheered for Alabama (we moved to WY from Florida). I attended my first Pepperdine lectureship last year and was priviledged to be able to speak. My high school daughter went with me, making the trip a highlight for last year. (I linked here from somewhere ... Trey Morgan's site, maybe)
 
1992...I had three little boys...David was a baby, Mark was 3 and Brian was 4. I remember all three had the chickenpoxs....when one got over them, the other caught them....I think the walls in my house were closing in on me while all three had their 10 days. Yes, even David at 6 monthd caught them and he had them the worse
 
See that you're going to the Pepperdine lectures. I'm able to go to my first lectures this year. I'm a struggling church planter and have been blessed with free airfare to go visit.

Unfortunately, I have no transport from the airport and no lodging. Do you know of any churches that have members that provide housing to poor people like me who don't belong within 100 miles of a classy place like Malibu? I know churches in Tulsa provide housing for some ISWW guests each March. It's been done for us before. Just wondering if you have any contacts out in the LA area.

More about me can be found at our website for the Heartland Church of Christ @ http://heartland.zachshouse.org or at http://cc.zachshouse.org.

God's already answered prayers for airfare, lodging is next and God always provides, but I still have to physically ask, at least most of the time : )

Thanks for your time,
Brian
 
1992 - It's getting harder to remember that far back. You keep asking hard questions!! In 1992, I was working at FDIC. My mom had changed addresses in July 1991and in 1992 I had just emerged from the fog! In late 1991, I had also met someone who became the love of my life, and in 1992, I was filled with hope for the future! I don't remember what the Cardinals did that year....or the Tigers (although I'm sure it was phenomenal). :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?