Wednesday, April 01, 2009

When You Know Its Coming

For some reason today reminded me of a whitewater raft trip we took down the New River in West Virginia when Steven was in 7th Grade. We were "fortunate" to have a "part-time" guide due to the size of our group. She took us into a rapid called "Surprise" in a path that no other raft in our party took. Just before we started she uttered these immortal words, "There's our video photographer - this will look great on the video!"

My good friend Bret and I were in the front of the raft being the heaviest and only adults on board besides are dim-witted rookie guide. As we started down this hole it becomes apparent that we now must navigate up the hole and over this huge wave. I remember having 2 thoughts:

1. This reminds me of the scene from the movie, "The Perfect Storm."
2. We're not going to make it.

As the wave broke over us I tried to do a duck dive into it but instead of going forward, me, the raft, and everyone inside it were catapulted backwards. The point, I knew it was coming but it didn't help.

Sidebar - To add insult to injury, the video photographer ended up being another Raft Company's employee and after all of that - we didn't make the video!

April 1 / (Fools) always bring the anticipation of pranks. You know its coming and in most cases you're not fooled. However there have been times when I knew it was coming and was had any way. A very good friend and fellow blogger has been (including his sweet wife) the author of most of those times. To be fair I've done a little "had-ding" of my own but we won't go into detail to protect the "innocent."

So, I hope you were able to avoid to being had and perhaps did a little "had-ding" of your own.

Comments:
thanks for protecting the innocent :)


today would have been my dad's bday
 
"Had-ding" you was some of the best first days of April I've ever enjoyed.
 
jel - No problem. We honor the memory of your Father. I'll be an April 1 birthday made for some interesting situations. :)

Greg - and "had-ding" you did until the "famous" coast to coast / help my friend call. :)
To quote you when you were "had," you said, "You two need to get a life."
:)
 
I fell for one hook, line, and sinker yesterday, much to my everlasting chagrin.......

:)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?