Thursday, April 16, 2009

Real Men Love Jesus

This was relayed to me last night by our Preacher who I think won't mind if I relay it to you, the "home viewer." Besides, I can fire him, right? That's a little "elder humor."

Any way, our minister, youth guy, and our worship minister were having breakfast at one of our favorite diners. Don said for an hour and a half they discussed how to move our members closer to being transformed by Christ in their lives. Don said near the end of their conversation, a mother and her adult daughter got up from their table and started to leave.

The mother stopped by their table and introduced herself. She then with tears in her eyes told our guys what a blessing it was to listen to "men" discuss Jesus with boldness and passion. Her daughter made the same comment.

Pardon me if I throw in some "Klingon Theology." One of my favorite characters of the T.V. show, "Star Trek the Next Generation" was "Warf." He was a Klingon Warrior now working for the good guys. In one episode Warf is trying to be persuaded by a fellow Klingon to return to his "warrior ways" which include killing indiscriminately for the "glory of the Empire."

In the end scene Warf rejects his plea and tells him that for the Warrior, the real battle is within ourselves and that words like "duty" and "honor" mean more to the Warrior than killing.

Does that sound familiar? How about Paul's instructions to his young warrior in the Faith, Timothy, in First Timothy, Chapter 4:

7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Comments:
I can understand that lady's tears. One of the first things that drew me to our blogging family was how you guys so unashamedly vocalized your love for the Lord, your struggles with faith issues, your earnest desire to be close to Him AND how you proudly and sensitively talked about your wives and kids. That was very special to me at that time in my life.............and still is.
 
Judy - Thanks. You were the first female (some would say "voice of reason" :) ) voice in our blog community. We appreciate you as well.
 
Only once here has anyone commented on our conversation in a restaurant. And that person wasn't Swiss. Either we don't talk loud enough, or people are too polite (or disdaining) to say anything.

Blessings to you, brother.
 
Warf was great but Jean Luc was hard to beat.

"Make it so!"
 
Brady - Talking "loud" might be a "southern thing?" :)
Plus this diner is so small that at times, its easier to ask the people at the table next to you to "pass the salt" rather than bother the person sitting at your table. :)

Terri - Don't get me started! :)
As the "Borg" would say, "Resistance is futile" or as the WV just brought up for me to type, "hordi."
 
I have mentioned to others numerous times that I appreciated them praying publicly before a meal or appreciated something I might have overheard in a conversation. Don't know that anyone has ever made a similar comment to me.
 
Greg - Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat on that one.
The WV must be thinking about the upcoming weekend:

restes
 
It is what we do when we are unaware that anyone is looking that often has the most profound impact.
 
Donna - So true.
 
Preach on brother. Times like you describe with a good friend and brother in Christ working through how to serve/lead/understand/teach is more enjoyable to me than just about anything else in the world. Plus, you have to love the way that God uses us whether we know it or "consent" to it or not.

See you at Pepperdine.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?