Thursday, April 23, 2009

Don't Give Up The Baseline

In my 28 years of "touching (code for teaching Middle School) the future" I have noticed a phenomenon that occurs this time of year in my students. Usually right after their return from Spring Break they will start to engage in behaviors or practices that were prevalent back in August or September. Being the seasoned educator that I am, I always attempt to stop or modify these behaviors and as with most years, I've usually accomplished this with some level of success.

But then the little darlings go home for a week for a much deserved break. Upon their return it sometimes seems like we're starting over again with some of the things they say or do. Then I will usually make this speech, "Class (or dirt bags if you prefer :) ), you are now regressing instead of progressing and that is something that to be honest, is irritating." Of course, that statement in of itself is buffoonery since Middle School students enter a stage in life when sometimes their very existence is meant to be irritating but I digress.

As a coach "regressing instead of progressing" was a pet peeve of mind. In basketball my preference was always to play man to man defense. As vigilant as I am about my Algebra students showing their work I was just as vigilant about players not "giving up the baseline" to an offensive player. I tried to teach my players to use the baseline as a"second defender" and to force their man into the middle if need be where supposedly our players on the weakside would make the adjustment and give help. We would work and work on that in practice and yet halfway through the season I would have kids who would act as the "Welcome Wagon" for an opposing guard driving the baseline for an easy lay-up.

Have you been there - regressing or doing things you know you shouldn't or should do after having a period of success? Been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt. Apparently so did Paul. Look at Romans 7:14 - 20

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

I know when I do something or not do something that is out of character for the son of Cecil Sr. and Jean, a college graduate, a father, an elder, and most importantly, a Christian I feel like dirt. So did Paul if you look at the first part of verse 24:

24What a wretched man I am!

But then there is the end of Romans 7 and the blessed start of Romans 8:

24..... - 25 Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! 1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

That was on my heart this morning. Have a blessed day.











Comments:
Well, now you've left off blogging and started meddling! Unfortunately, the answer is YES. Thanks be to God for His love and grace...always needed, more deeply appreciated the longer we live and continue to strive to walk in the light.

-bill
 
Yes and yes! That passage is a comfort and encouragement to me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?