Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Christians - Successful or Faithful?


I just watched an interview with Dr. James Dobson on "Hannity Live." Hannity asked Dr. Dobson for his opinion concerning President Obama's liberal legislation concerning abortion. Dr. Dobson responded by saying that a great deal of the work that "Focus on the Family" had done in attempting to limit the availability of abortion was being destroyed by this legislation. Hannity asked Dr. Dobson how he felt about the situation and Dr. Dobson responded with this:
"As a Christian we're not called to be successful, we're called to be faithful."
I don't know if that is an original saying for Dr. Dobson but nevertheless, I was struck by it's meaning. In looking at my own personal journey with respect to where our church is today, for most of that time I felt very unsuccessful but I tried to be faithful. There were times when I wanted to give up and I doubted that I any influence what so ever.
I still have those feelings at times when it comes with trying to minister to folks but I was encouraged by what Dr. Dobson said. I hope you are too.
God bless.

Comments:
Wow, when I read it, I wished I had heard it. Teaching govenrment and seeing a lot of the changes that are happening under the new administration, I wonder sometimes what is going on...especially after the comment the President said about the United States not being a "Christian" Nation. But Dr Dobston is correct....it is our job to be faithful to Christ and to plant seeds for Christ. Ours is not to question why...ours is to honor God and look forward. The day of the Lord is coming.
 
I first heard that phrase, called to be faithful, not successful, from Chuck Swindoll many, many years ago. It hit me as powerful then. Of course, he and Dobson have been close friends over many years so who knows which one came up with the statement.

As for our president ... this is just a part of the legislation he will enact that will have devastating effects on our nation for years to come. God save us from our politicians ... both parties!
 
Great response from Dr. Dobson. Same way about giving, I think. We're just told to give - not to dictate how those who receive use what we give.
 
Very powerful. It's that "plant the seed, leave harvest to God" thing. I also wholeheartedly concur with That Girl's comment.
 
Thanks...I really need that right now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?