Friday, April 24, 2009

Beauty and the Beast

I know most of us live in places that in relatively short periods of time, we can be amidst God's Creation. Still, it always amazes me when I can leave work, drive about 20 minutes, and stand on a beach in the shadow of our Nation's Space Center, and fish. Yesterday was one of those days. The sky was clear, the breeze coming off the ocean was cool, and there I was with 2 good friends from church fishing for what ever lurks in the water. I did have some success. Here is a picture.Any one buying that? O.K., so we didn't have a crane! :) Actually, a more accurate picture would be this one:
He was about 3 feet long "bonnethead shark" and for some reason wasn't too happy when we brought him on shore. My buddies were more than happy to help me dislodge the hook from his mouth and then "throw" him back into the ocean. It will be a time and day that I won't soon forget.
Do you think Jesus had days like that were everything seem to be "in the zone?" You know, great weather, doing something fun and mostly relaxing, and good friends to share it with. I'd like to think that he had a high need for fun. He certainly stood out at wedding parties and even funerals. You didn't invite Jesus to a funeral if you wanted everything to be copacetic.
There you go - your marching orders for the weekend. Be like Jesus and have an "un-copacetic weekend.

Comments:
YIKES! I don't mind if I don't get in the shark zone!

This weekend is supposed to be beautiful and after a short worship time, we are headed out into the community to work in God's beautiful world. I get to wear raggedy jeans to church! Woo Hoo!!!
 
Terri - I know I said this before but what a great idea your church has - being the church in your community.

Hey, you (and Mr.Riley) need to come to Florida - some of our folks wear shorts and raggedy jean to church.
 
I read a book once in which the author insisted Jesus liked having fun and surprising people. It may have been Max Lucado, I don't remember for sure. I've always remembered it. He referred to the story of when those guys had been fishing all night and hadn't caught anything and were coming in discouraged and callling it a night. Jesus told them to throw the net on the other side, and it was like, "Huh, we've been fishing all night and haven't caught a thing, but if YOU say do it again, okay, we will but it won't do any good!" The book's author depicted Jesus as hiding a smile, knowing what He had in store for them, and then guffawing at the looks on their faces when they had to have help dragging in the haul!! :)
 
Judy - A brave thing to tell a bunch of fishermen to let out the nets after being out all night and catching nothing. :)
 
The way I see it, Jesus knew from the start of his ministry where it was leading. He chastised his disciples for not understanding and for their attempts to compromise the mission, even calling Peter "Satan" for such antics. I think we forget that Jesus was most "in the zone" when he was on the cross. That is why he came and that was Mission Accomplished!
 
well ya bout got me on that shot,

always thought i want to fish in the ocean , BUT after Cing that shot i don't know! ;)
 
Well, I think Greg is right on target with his observation about Jesus being "in the zone" all the way to and especially when on the cross. We even read about Him setting His face like flint for Jerusalem (older version). That being said, I do think Jesus was all about getting the most out of every situation for both teaching and glorifying the Father. So, He could be "in the zone" as a boy at the Temple, at a wedding feast, interacting with children, walking through grain fields, at a tax collectors table, sleeping in a boat, or struggling with the inevitable in a garden. In fact, I believe His very presence established "the zone."

Blessings,
-bill
 
I've never, ever caught a shark. I have been with some bone-heads though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?