Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And the Answer Is .....

Good morning,

I actually typed, posted, and then withdrew this post yesterday and then two things occurred that prompted me to re-post this post.

The first was a call from one of our members. He was in full agreement with me about this past Sunday at our church - powerful! Our Worship Minister filled in for Don who is on vacation. He delivered a powerful sermon on "doubt." Because he preached our worship was all acapella. I love that part of our Church of Christ heritage and I know I'm being a bit partial when I say that I think we "do it" to a high degree of enthusiasm and energy. There are so many things to be, I'll say it, proud of our American Restoration heritage. Then there are other things -

(Judy, if you're reading you might want to skip to the next paragraph due to your love of cats.) On the way to work this morning I witnessed depending on your perspective - something amazing and, or quite vicious. I take a country back-road on the drive to work that is mostly woods and horse farms. As I was driving I saw a bald-eagle, seemingly larger than my car, swoop down and gather up a cat in its claws and carry it off. I'm sure the cat had no idea what hit him.

I think that's how this member felt after being confronted by a visitor from out of State. He had greeted this gentleman before services and ended up sitting in the pew in front of him. When our service ended, he asked this visitor what he thought. Like that eagle, this visitor proceeded to launch into an attack on our worship minister, our church, and our service. He said we should take the name "Church of Christ" off the sign. You're probably thinking what I am, what would he have said if we had our usual "blended service?" This is the part of our "heritage" that disgusts me. I cannot ever imagine any situation where upon visiting a church and attending one of its services, that I would feel compelled enough to tell one of its members what this guest did. I might think it but never would I feel I had the right to do what this gentleman did.

To our member's credit and also being caught off guard by this guest's tone, he wished him a blessed day and invited him to come back again. Sounds like something Jesus would have done.

Here's my question - How would you have replied? If you were on your game and not completely caught off guard, how would you answer? Have you been in this situation before?

I am convinced of one thing - we must be doing something right. It seems Jesus elicited those types of responses from the religious "know it alls" of his day.

Comments:
Reminds me of the time I preached in Steve's place at Melbourne and got blindsided by Joe What'shisname down there. He eventually went to Rockledge to wreak his legalistic havoc before moving on to yet another church.
 
Greg - I think the WV calls that a "calistm."
 
I would have wanted to have shown him the door...and fast, then I would have wanted to say something about love and autonomy and good riddance and such....I am not good people sometimes...
 
Donna - You are "good people." I feel that there is a place for the door and a place for love depending on the situation. "Debate" is probably a waste of time but love and "defense of the homeland" if you will can be appreciated, even by guests such as this guy.
 
Wow...I think the person answered correctly. I guess not being brought up in a Church of Christ church orginially, I do not get it. The Bible talkes about making a joyful noise unto the Lord...I feel that is what we do at our church. Sometimes people get caught up in traditions and they forget about relationships...I feel whoever our member was, he answer how Christ would have. I think that was great. God bless him...God had the right person sitting there...a very graceous Christian. Personally, I feel sorry for people that get hung up on "tradition" and not foundational core Christian belief...I always feel they have missed the boat.
 
Anybody that preaches "on the road" has the potential for the "blindside." God bless the person who is able to have the spirit of Jesus no matter what is said to him/her.

I remember Greg's experience, and in those days, I grimaced every time a visitor had any contact with Greg's aforementioned critic.

Peace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?