Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Spectrum

Whats the one thing that can happen to you on the way to work that can absolutely ruin your day? I'll throw out some possible answers while you engage in this cognitive exercise.

1. Krispy Kreme runs out of doughnuts.
2. You decide to take a shortcut to work that turns out to be a log jam of traffic.
Here's one for the "sickness boys" -
3. As you're driving by the local Guitar Center you see a "Going Out Of Business" sign on their front door which begs the question -
Will there be a "GC" in the "Eschaton?" :)

Although all of the above would cause one (or most of us) to start one's day off in a negative fashion, they were not part of my morning reality. However, if you guessed (insert Rizzo's voice from the T.V. show "M.A.S.H.") "Ve-hick-le accident," then you chose wisely. Yes, I was sitting in line at a traffic light when I felt as Keith (http://kdavis777.wordpress.com/) describe in his latest post, a "disturbance in the Force." In this case it was a lady bumping me in the rear with her 88 Olds Royale which desperately needed a brake job.

When I got out of my car I did restrain my "Restoration instinct" in me that wanted to tell her the only way she would be going to Heaven would be if she got "re-baptized" to cover such an egregious sin. To her credit (which I hope is good) she immediately got out of her car with her insurance card in her hand, apologizing for her faulty brakes. My damage will most likely be less than my deductible.

We exchanged information and I asked her if she was O.K.? I then did a commercial for an auto mechanic that attends our church. I gave her his name and phone number and told her she really needed to get her brakes fixed before something serious happened. I told her to let him know she had hit me, to use my name, and ask for the same discount he usually (I hope) gives me. We parted ways and I arrived at work in less than a happy mood.

Later that day I received a phone call from the guy who announces baseball games with me at our local high school. Since Steven graduated he has been doing most of the games. He called to ask if I could do that night's game. I really didn't want to do the game since I had my running clothes with me and I was all set to do my 5 mile run on the way to our Weight Watchers meeting and then enjoy a meal out with my WW crowd. I agreed to do the game and wondered afterwards what else was going to happen to me to keep the car wreck karma going.

I did enjoy seeing everyone again at the ball field and watching the team narrowly win 12 to 11. As I was closing up the Press Box after the game, one of the opposing player's (kid went 5 for 5 with two HR's) mother walked in to talk to me. She told me her son was a senior and this would be their last (I know the feeling) visit to our field. She said she always appreciated how I announced the game, gave out statistics, and gave praise to the play of players from both teams. She gave me a hug and I walked away with a tear in my eye and recognizing like most of you, one day's experiences can certainly run the spectrum of bad to good but its all to the glory of God.

Have a blessed day.

Comments:
no donuts and GC out of business? heresy!
 
Ah ... the joy of an auto accident! Jan was sitting at a traffic light a few weeks ago when a woman plowed into the back of her. Our damage was about $1,400 plus the expense of a rental car, but it was all covered by the other person's insurance. Hopefully the lady that hit you will cover your deductible.
 
Randy - Almost as bad as Sonny's BBQ going out of business.

Greg - I hope so.
 
Very, very good. Not the getting run into by a woman. But the getting a hug sounds real good. Bravo.
 
"Into each life some rain must fall!" Sorry your life was rainy on this day, but SO thankful for the power of a hug and a compliment! Consider yourself hugged again...............
 
Brady - Thanks. It was an unexpectedly nice way to end the day.

Judy - "Blog hugs" are some of the best.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?