Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Praise Him in the Storm

So where have I been? Reading your blogs, doing some commenting, and administering Florida's version of high stakes testing with the Nation's 47th level of State funding for education. Florida's motto apparently is, "Accountability with less money." O.K., enough of that.

I am so excited about our week of Bible Camp that will take place in June. Our theme is borrowed from the popular Casting Crowns hit song, "Praise You in the Storm." Our theme is appropriately for our times, don't you think? This theme is special to Barb and me since it arose out of our annual Planning Meeting in which my son took a very active part for the first time. Its great to see how our legacy of "Bible Camp" is being passed down to our kids who are now young adults.

I cannot do a post about Camp without mentioning my good friend Steve (aka "the Puckster") and the Melbourne Church. Throughout our quarter century together (some with the Stoogelover himself, Greg http://gregengland.com/) Steve and the Melbourne Church have stuck with us through the good times and the challenging times. This year will mark the 3rd time that Pat Pugh will be our main speaker throughout the week. Pat was recently honored in the Harding Grad School (http://www.hugsr.edu/info/bridge.php) publication for his work in inner city Cincinnati. I'm not sure which edition he's in but I'm sure the Puckster can tell us.

What can I say about Camp (http://www.cob-net.org/camp/ithiel.htm) Ithiel which has been our home for going on 3 years. In our time of need God threw us together as we fulfilled a need for them. Mike, the Camp Director is always pleasant, spiritual, and willing to meet needs when asked.

I'd ask that you pray for our incoming camp staff and campers as we hurtle into the summer.

Comments:
Great ... you abandon the old paths and faithfulness of a coC-approved camp to join the less than saved and drag my name into it!!! :)
 
Consider it prayed for. And I, as you know, am ALL FOR abandoning tradition! Yay!
 
I always preferred the "less than saved" group. ;)
 
Greg - I busted out laughing when I read your comment. I guess humor can come from both good and bad experinces. For those of you just tuning in to the program, we were the ones "abandoned" but in that painful and evil experince, God worked out His Will to His glory and pleasure.

Steve - Freedom in Christ, freedom from a denomination, and freedom from fear are great islands to hang out on.

Phil - Me too! They seem to have more fun, yes? :)
 
I love how the whole "camp" thing has come around to be a great blessing for you....gives me hope with my current trials.
 
Donna - Thanks Donna. When I was in the middle of that nonsense it was hard to see any good coming out of it. It didn't take God too long to show up and (reminds me of a line from "The Who" song, "Won't Get Fooled Again.") make fools out of all of us.

Me for doubting how He was going to work it all out for His Glory, and to the spiritual benefit of our kids.

The evil ones who played backroom / Little League Baseball Draft Day politics at events such as SonQuest and our old Bible Camp, thinking that they had stopped Pat Pugh from ministering to our kids.

I am convinced that the continuing spiritual journey that many of our teens / college kids are now on started with Pat being un-invited from our old Bible Camp along with our own eventual CofC un-invitation. Men, "religious men" cannot stop the power of God. So Donna, take heart for it can happen!
 
Remembering a specific painful situation that I've come through recently, I've yet to see the good in it, but I'm happy to see that, except for remaining low-rumbling sadness, I'm through it and in a better place. Because God brought me through it. But debilitating grief and low-rumbling sadness are lightyears apart, and I am grateful for peace.

I'm glad that you and your congregation are at a place of peace and joy.

P.S. The word verification for me was "acticat." Appropriate, don't you think?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?