Thursday, March 05, 2009

Love is in the Air?

Or is it misunderstanding is in the air? I think that particular malady was in the air yesterday. Based on “Ben’s comment” on yesterday’s post, I can’t tell if he misunderstood what I wrote or if I misunderstood his response? I’d say that was going around yesterday based on the following.

In the wonderful world of secondary school, teachers will stand in the halls during class change. On the first level this is a responsibility on our part to supervise the Halls and to ensure that students are being respectful and courteous to each other. A “weggie” in the middle of the day can potentially disrupt the learning process.

On another level, this particular facet of our day gives rise to the occasional “adult” conversation that can take place in the span of 4 minutes save for the obligatory, “May I go to the restroom / Did we have homework last night / may I use the phone / I forgot to do my homework / and Are we doing anything today” questions / statements. As it would have it, there were 3 of us in the halls yesterday and the “misunderstood you bug” hit like this:

Teacher #1 – Did you hear the latest?
Me – No.

Teacher #1 – “John (he uses the first and last name) did (not a very nice thing) this to “Joe.”

Program Note – Teacher #2 and I commit the cardinal sin that we’re always slamming the kids for – we only heard half of what he said or in this case – the last name which happens to be the same last name of a fellow teacher.

Me – No way!
Teacher #2 – No way (for emphasis) way!

Teacher #1 – Yes and can you believe he is still here?
Me – (trying to remember the formula for tar and feathers) You have got to be kidding me.
Teacher #2 – (grabbing the wall for support) How is he still teaching his class?

It was at this point that Teacher #1 realized we had mistaken the perpetrator as being a teacher rather than a student.

Teacher #1 – No, no, it wasn’t (you morons) Mr. blah-blah. It was a student!

It was at that point that I was able to both breathe and look at Mr. Blah-blah without contemplating the formula for tar and feathers.

2nd Program Note – The supposed “offense” turned out to be milder than first reported.
I think I’ll stay in my classroom for now own. J
Have a good day family.

Comments:
If I could think of something funny to say I would write it here...


Thanks for sharing.

God bless,
-bill
 
So easy to misunderstand! :)
 
"Are we doing anything today?"

Kids used to ask me that ALL the TIME! Drove me crazy. I don't get it much in Calculus for some reason.
 
That'll teach ya, Teacher! Gossiping in the halls in between classes.

You get sent to the corner with a dunce cap for time out!

But, it WAS funny!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?