Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Definition – Christ

Would the title, “Lets Keep the Music Going” be in poor taste for this post? For some reason I’m stuck on thinking about my fellowship and what seems to be a growing wealth of nonsensical information on churches that choose to empower their gifted members to facilitate worship accompanied by people playing instruments or how about the acronym “WABPPI.”

I say nonsensical because of this article (http://www.christianchronicle.org/article2158686~Richland_Hills_among_churches_removed_from_directory) in the Christian Chronicle. In this article, "Richland Hills Among Churches Removed From Directory," Carl Royster, who is identified as "the volume’s compiler" says this, "“The one unifying constant that defines whether or not such a congregation is included in this document is the practice of a cappella worship services..."

Let me just say this for everyone - "Wow!" Maybe that is why in the same issue is another article (http://www.christianchronicle.org/article2158685~Church_in_America_marked_by_decline) entitled, "Church in America Marked by Decline." I'm not making that up.

Please feel free to read both articles and draw your own conclusions. I'll draw mine:
1. Is instrumental music a guarantee that you will grow? No.
2. Does instrumental music guarantee a church will not act with legalism? No. I know many of you and I have personal experience in this area.
3. Should every Church of Christ start an instrumental service? No. Just as the churches of the 1st Century, all of our churches should be true to Scripture, their community, and heed to the leading of the Holy Spirit in their particular situation. This is what we have tried to do. It is an ongoing journey just as all of our walks in Christ are.

THE BIG AND OBVIOUS ONE:
1. When you state that the "one and constant" identifier of your church or denomination is something other than Jesus and being Jesus to your community, there is a great probability that many of your churches will go into decline.

Our "one and constant" marker if you will should be the words of Paul in Ephesians 2:

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's handiwork, (emphasis mine) created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.



Comments:
These are the articles that make me glad to no longer be a part of all that fussing and fuming and division.
 
I agree with Stoogelover.
And, your make important points, Cecil. If instrumental music is the salvation of churches, then why did't God allow a trumpet or a guitar to hang on the cross? People obsess in either direction. Jesus is our hope whether we believe in the use of instruments in worship or not.

http://hopefulliving.wordpress.com
 
Greg - I know what you mean but it isn't the discussion that is bad - any one or any church needs that for growth. It is the "exclusion" part of this sad state affairs that makes one want to push the "eject button."

Ben - Welcome to the program as they say in "Radio." :)
I have to apolgize brother because I didn't intend on indicating that "instrumental music is the salvation of churches.." but I found the part of "hanging a trumpet or guitar on the cross" to be interesting and hopefully sarcastic on your part.

BTW - Some of these guys really like guitars so be careful. :)

Any way, on the chance you're not being sarcastic and you really took me to say that I’m claiming instruments will save you, a church, a movement, ect, then I need to do more proofing of what I write.

In our experince with a few instrumental churches in our area, we ran into some of the same legalistic thinking that those of us of the acapella heritage are sometimes accused of by folks within and without our fellowship. Whether a church is acapella or instrumental or in our case, both, dosen't gurantee legalism will not creep into that person or body.

I believe in the shadow of a multitude of Temples to almost every "god" imaginable in Matthew 16:13 and following, Jesus asks the question that we as individuals and then "we" as autonomous bodies of believers must ask, "Who do you say I (Jesus) am?"

Whether one worships with a body of believers that uses or doesn't use instruments, our identity and salvation must be in Christ.

That will then translate into transformed lives that will translate into good works both within and without the Body. I hope that clears up the "hang the trumpet or guitar on the cross" thing? Thanks for commenting.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I respectfully disagree. When the "discussion" takes so much energy and focus away from what really matters (and we've been "discussing" this crap for generations), then the discussion is, or at least, is potentially bad.
 
Greg - You're killing me. :)
I think the type of "discussion" where brothers discuss and even debate is healthy as long as fellowship is not withdrawn and me/ we stay on mission which is being Jesus to our communities - as kids would say, "Its all good."

Discussion / debate that withdraws fellowship and gets me / we off mission is helpful only to Satan.

Having said that can I still come out in May? :)
 
I've gotten to where I just don't read this stuff anymore. It doesn't do me any good and there is usually no "conversation" to be a part of. It's one-sided and closed-minded. I love my Christian family and feel for those who can't enjoy and celebrate the freedom Christ died for.

Still...we'll all love and enjoy each other one day. One day.
 
Steve - What a powerful witness our fellowship would have if it practiced the art of 2-sided discussion. Sadly, just as you said most of the discussion is one-sided.

That's what I like about our church in the arena of worship styles - we are able to provide and do both and here's even the better part - our people tend to value relationship over preference.
 
Hi, interesting post here. God and instrumental music, hmmm...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?