Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Century Ahead

There are times as a teacher when I am on my game. You mean being able to convey the wonderful world of Algebra in an engaging and relevant manner so as to improve (how’s that for educational jargon) student performance? No!

I’m talking about keeping the middle school kids off balance when given the opportunity as we say in the South, “To mess with them.” As always, the names have been changed to protect the ignorant, I mean innocent.


John is one of my better students and he actually gets my humor, most of the time. John was paying attention during an inspiring lesson on “Slope Intercept Form of an Equation.” When it came time to post the assignment on my screen John’s attention began to wavier. After a few minutes he “came back to us” and he began to copy the assignment down and start it.


I was inputting some grades into my computer when John came up to my desk, book and paper in hand, and a puzzled look. He said, “Mr. Walker, I don’t get number one?” My standard answer is usually like Steve’s (http://intentionalwalk.blogspot.com/) in that I tell students to take the first 10 minutes on their own, struggle, and use the notes we just took in class, etc, etc.


That started to come out of my mouth when I noticed his problem. The assignment was on page 289 but John had written down “page 389!” Yes, he was a full “century” ahead of us and he had no clue and better yet, he was worried. To make it better, I had him!


Looking at John with one of those “disgusted teacher looks” I said, “John, give me a break. Number one is easy. Just look at your notes.” Then I asked the class who didn’t realize the 100 page problem, “Is number one hard?” Of course to John’s distress they gave a collective “its so easy a caveman could do it” response.


You could see John’s brain processing the situation with thoughts such as, “I don’t have a clue how to start number one and so-and-so is already on number 10! What is going on?” So John turned around and started heading back to his desk. I stopped him after a few feet and said, “John, look at the screen and then look at your paper. Do you see anything different?”


It only took a few seconds for John to realize he had been had to which he said, “Mr. Walker, you’re good!” Thus I fulfilled one of my philosophies of teaching that has gotten me through 28 years of teaching Middle School which is, “Get them before they get you.”


Trust me, as I get older this mantra gets harder to live out. Feel free to try this at work or home.


Comments:
Wishing you and yours much love, peace, and happiness!
 
I am just impressed that you care about this stuff....math and middle school kids... :)
 
thankful Paul - Thanks and welcome to the program.

Donna - I appreciate that. Middle School can be an interesting place.
 
Filing that away for the future. That happens so often...the opportunity will come soon, I'm sure.
 
Steve - You can call it the "East Coast Offense." :)
 
I guess that's why I'm not a middle school math teacher. I would have whispered, "Sweetheart, you're on the wrong page!" :)
 
Judy - I "whispered," kind of. :)
 
Love that story. Just yesterday, I was going through a big box that held all of my school scrapbooks (from 5th grade through high school), all of my yearly annuals, mementos and grades from nearly each year I was in school from kindergarten on.

What fun THAT was! I was looking at all of my grades from junior high from each subject and saw that I did very well in math, you'll be happy to hear.

But one thing caught my eye on my grade card from about 6th grade History that I had never noticed before, ever. My "deportment" grades went way down the second semester from 3 95's the first semester to a 90 the first & third 6 weeks of the second semester, and an 85 in the 2nd 6 weeks.

I have NO clue why or what that was all about. I was always an excellent student (Salutatorian in 8th grade and Valedictorian in high school) and was usually very quiet. Certainly not a talker.

What mortified me yesterday was seeing my father's bold handwriting all over the card wanting to know from my teacher what that low conduct grade was all about. I have no idea what she would have said, but if it wasn't what he wanted to hear, I'm sure I got a spanking for it.

I just cannot imagine, and now I guess I'll have to wait until I see my dad in eternity to see if he remembers!

Many blessings to you all today!

Dee
 
Dee - I've never seen the word, "deportment" used for conduct grades. If your "deportment" grades were low enough would this qualify one to be "deport"-ed? :)
 
I would have cried if I'd been your student.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?