Thursday, February 05, 2009

Taking The Lid off a Cat

I haven't forgotten about my 2nd part of my "Remember When / the Lid or Ceiling" series but I feel the need to tell you about another kind of "lid" or in this case, the door to a cat-carrier.

3 days ago, we found some (cover your blog eyes if you're squeamish) throwup in our Study from our Cat. I assumed it was the Cat and not Barb. Any way, in it was a worm which meant our cat had worms. Brilliant, yes? Buddy, our cat, was exhibiting the signs of having a worm such as drinking a lot of water and being somewhat lethargic. I know, how can a cat be diagnosed as lethargic when they already sleep 95% of the day? Lets just say the percentage when up to 97%. Now a note about Buddy.

Buddy is the cat that even (yes Judy - there are some out there) cat-haters like. Buddy as I've chronicled in the past, is the smartest cat we've owned. He will sit and shake like a dog for treats. He (in the presence of witnesses) has opened doors by grabbing and pulling down on handles, he has turned lights on in the middle of the night when he wants attention, and he pretty much plays with anyone who comes over, like a dog. He even will lick you, over and over like a dog.

In fact during Super Bowl Sunday, one of my good friends, Bret, an avowed Cat-hater and highly allergic to cat, played with Buddy! He got up several times to wash his hands and then he went back for more play time with Buddy. Yes, Buddy is a good natured cat unless you do certain things to him.

Such as, try to take a stool sample. When I took him to the Vet on Tuesday, the Vet Tech told me she needed a stool sample even though I had the worm remains in a zip lock bag. I relented and told her that he might not like this procedure as I forced back the use of the colloquial phrase, "Duh." She asked if he would bite? I thought to (I think this statement drives Greg crazy but will use it anyway) myself, "Hummm, if someone would stick something up my hind in, would it put me in a bad mood, yea, even bad enough to bite?" I began to think about the laws of Physics and how the digestive system is basically a one way street so I answered in the affirmative. Then came dumb question #2:

"Would you mind holding him?" Now this is a dumb question because I answered, "Yes." It reminded me of how my wife sometimes asks me to do things. She'll say, "Honey (that would be me), would you LIKE to take out the garbage?" Now when she asks me in that manner I'll probably think (but never say mind you), "Sure, just as much as I enjoyed Buddy biting me during his stool sample."

Yes, he bit me! The little stick thing went in, Buddy got this blank look on his face like, "That doesn't feel right," he hissed, and then he whirled on me and tasted human flesh. Then to add insult to my injury, the Vet Tech who stepped back from the procedure said, "Its still in him" referring to the (I don't know the medical term) "stool stick." Now I had the blank look on my face as I said,"I think he won't mind if it goes out the usual way."

So the stool stick came out and Buddy was somewhat happy again. Then came the Vet with the shot. Now being a trained professional he was much smarter than the Vet Tech and me because he brought backup. They held Buddy down , the shot went in, and there was no loss of human flesh. Then came the really good news. I would have to bring Buddy back the next day for another shot. There must have been fear in my eyes because he told me, "Oh, sorry about the bite but we really didn't need the stool sample since you had the worm." Now he tells me!

The next day didn't start too bad. Buddy has a curious nature and actually crawled into the cat carrier with out coaxing. However, the hissing began the moment I lifted the carrier up and put it into my car. After being in the waiting room for a few minutes, two different "VT's" came to get him. They told me they would take Buddy in the back and give him his second shot. I wanted to say, "You'll be sorry," but I figured they knew what they were doing, right? No!

A few moments later brought a loud hiss, an inaudible human vocalization, and a comment from the Receptionist who said, "Sounds like someone is getting bit." A few seconds later with most limbs still attached, both now wiser VT's asked, "Can we gas your cat?" You don't know how I wanted to say, "No," and then follow that up with a "West Cocoa," "When you're dumb, you've got to be tough," but I didn't.

I gave my permission, Buddy was gassed, another shot was administered, and I went home with all of my outer layer and a drunk cat. Buddy was back to his old self this morning and hopefully this story will give this blog a shot in the arm and no where else!

Comments:
I might even like Buddy ...
 
Your story of Buddy is hilarious, Cecil!! I wish we could get to know him. You could bring him with you on a trip over here to visit Tom & me.

His vet experiences sound like our cat, Oliver North, who at his top weight was 21 lbs! He had a reputation at the vets. One time when we had to leave him overnight for some illness, when we went back to pick him up, they made us bring the carrier in the back to the room full of cages where the sick pets were.

You see - Oliver's cage had a big hand printed sign on the front. "This cat WILL bite."

So, we had to retrieve him from his cage ourselves. Except, unlike Buddy, Oliver HATED the cat carrier and was most adverse to being pulled out of the vet's cage to go into the carrier, even by us.

Gotta love 'em, though. God bless cats!

Dee
 
nice. I'd have bit someone too.
 
Bobby - My Dad was from Alabama and I don't know if they are synonymous but he was brought up to hate cats and and that was passed on to me. However, the wife taught me to appreciate the feline species and thus I can write about a cat biting me and still love the rascal.

Dee - Good to see you. 21 lbs is a small lion!

Phillip - You know it. Do they have cats in Samoa?
 
Had I been conscious during my colonoscopy, I probably would have tried to bite the doctor.
 
Oh my goodness...I laughed so hard and then I read your blog to Niel and he laughed even harder. We could picture the whole thing. Doesn't anyone realize you do that to a cat, of course he is going to bite...especially a West Cocoa Cat. ;o)
 
I have wanted to bite my Gyno....so I understand Buddy's ire.
 
Greg - My time is coming.

Lauramay - You don't mess with a West Cocoa cat!

Donna - My wife said something similar.
 
Cats… They are trouble.
 
I love this story. Cats deserve the pain the get because of the misery they cause to others. Talk about biting the had that feeds you.
 
Aside: I'm with Donna!

Cecil, you made me laugh this morning. I can so empathize. When Barney was just a baby, not too long ago, he struck fear in the hearts of vets and technicians. It took two vets and a tech to cut his nails! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?