Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"Wapple-Jack!"

My son Steven and his 2 friends, Matthew and Kyle have been friend since they were toddlers. Steven is now a freshman in College while Matt and Kyle are both seniors in high school. I guess I can say at ages 18 and 17 they're boys on the threshold of manhood. All 3 of these young men are on our Church's Praise Team and Praise Band. They love to have fun together. I have some really good memories from this past Summer of climbing 13,700ft. Mount Tweeto in Colorado with these guys as well as hanging out in the Colorado backcountry for 4 days.

I've seen these boys grow up at Bible Camp going from making that break of sleeping in a cabin without a parent to being Cabin Counselors for us last year. Time as I know all of us know, is flying by at warp speed. But it slowed down for a moment tonight at our house. The "3 Amigos" if you will, came over after Praise Team Practice. We took advantage of this rare opportunity to get in some serious Bible Study. Actually we played several games of "Rotation" on our pool table. It was great to hear the boys laugh as well as compete. I'll brag a little and say that I won the first 2 games. How about that, a (as Jeb Clampett might say from the Beverly Hill Billies) 50 year old "billy-ard" shooting elder.

At one point Matthew decided to practice what I call the "Big Bang Theory" of Pool or in other words, smack the balls as hard as you can and if one goes in, try to make it look like it was your intention rather than "junk." Matt came up with his own title for such a shot. He called it, "Wapple-jack time." As time flies by and these boys become young men I'll take all the wapple jack time I can get.

Comments:
A pool-playing elder. I like that! Sounds like a good time.....
 
I thought all pool shots were "Wapple Jack" shots. At least that was my way of playing.

What a great encounter.
 
I like that word, Cecil. Wapple-Jack. Pretty cool.

Pool playing elder, though. I'm not so sure about that! ha! Back in my growin' up time, which was a couple of centurys ago, it seems like, pool was one of the banned forms of fun (leading straiht to hell, somehow) for us cofC'ers.

But then, we're talking about pool "halls," not pool tables at home, although I think those would have been suspect, too.

It seems so funny now to think of how awful we were told pool halls were. I mean, I grew up in a little west Texas town of about 3,000 people in a "dry" county where I don't think much bad in any form could have happened. Smoking, maybe, at worst, but then, I didn't know anyone who smoked, either, except by stealth once in a while on a weekend in the dark.

Wapple-Jack! Great term!

Dee
 
Judy - It was.

Keith - As a West Cocoa neighbor of mine would say, "If you can't hit em in, hit em hard."

Dee - I'll go "wapple-jack" on you and relay a pool story - When we built our previous home, we held a house warming party. I had another pool table in my living-room which you immediately saw when you open our front door. The Preacher that Greg replaced came over with his wife. When he opened our front door, saw the pool table in the living-room, he said to his wife, "Honey, can you believe that - they have a pool table in the middle of their living-room." I never took his comment as blasting us for it but rather pure astonishment that I was able to pull off such a move.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?