Friday, January 23, 2009

The Visit

Our home was visited by some "nice boys from the Jehovah Witnesses" yesterday. That "nice boys" line came from a memory I have of a 1970's commercial. The Dallas Cowboys had beaten the Miami Dolphins in the Super Bowl and Bob Lilly, their Hall of Fame Defensive Tackle who had single handily dismantled the Dolphins Offensive Line, made a commercial. In the commerical, it showed clips of Lilly tackling several different players of the Dolphins as he said, "Here I am "meeting" some nice boys from Miami."

In our case it was my son who met a couple of missionaries from the JW. This visit resulted in another visit between Steven and me. They had given him several Scripture references, all of them pulled out of context, to consider. We spent the next hour in the Word, on the Internet, and in discussion about a myriad of topics related to not only their visit but many aspects of our faith walk with the Lord. It was Holy Ground!

I re-discovered what I think I knew - Steven has his own faith, it is passionate, and it seeks to grow. What more could a parent ask for out of their child? Is he perfect, not even close but neither is his father but he's seeking, studying, learning, and committed to living a life for Christ.

If there's "credit" to be assigned I would give a large part of it to our church. In our striving to be truly non-denominational I think we have created a rare entity - a church that young people want to be a part of or find out there as they grow up and move away.

I went to bed late and tired but with that sometimes rare "peace" that seems so fleeting in these times. Have a good weekend.

Comments:
y'all have a good one too ;)
 
I noticed you didn't say anything about Barbara not being perfect! Good call.
 
jel - Thanks.

Greg - Hopefully not being perfect as well as being dumb do not go hand in hand. If it does, as our favorite West Cocoa neighbors says, "When you're dumb you have to be tough." :)
 
Seriously, you gotta be proud of Steven and the friends that surround him. I'm glad Central is a place where the young folks want to come for worship and encouragement. It is a tough world out there, even on the religious front and there's much to be said about Steven's developing faith. I would have gone to bed with great peace as well ... and have done so with my children more than a few times. It's MY faith (or lack thereof) that keeps me awake ... wondering.

We're off to Long Beach this morning to worship there and be a part of the praise band ministry tonight. It's been a long time since I've done this. Hopefully it will be a good day.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?