Monday, January 26, 2009

The View

I was snagged at the last moment yesterday to help serve Communion. In my early days as a Christian, I didn't "enjoy" serving the Lord's Supper. I never minded saying a prayer or offering some comments as part of the service but the serving part always made me nervous. I would be perplexed over elements such as what look should be on my face? Should I smile, frown, or look like a Drill Sargent looking over his new recruits?

Now days I love and look forward to serving Communion. I love looking over our members, smiling at them, knowing that each one has a testimony on how they got here, what led them to the Lord and our Church. I try to make eye contact with the ones I know are hurting and to somehow convey to them that they are not alone. Like one of my old Principals, I'll tap the shoulder of some 3 times I know just as he use to do the children of our school. Yesterday I had one of our little girls smile at me as I took the plate from one of the adults watching her and say, "Hi Mr. Cecil." It no wonder the Lord loved children. They just warm your heart.

All of those things remind me of how multifaceted the Lord's Supper is. There is it's highest form, each one of us with God, examining ourselves in light of the love Jesus showed all of us on the Cross. Then there is each other for there is something special about all of our stories and the fact that through the blood of Jesus, the stories are holy and eternal.

There is a military adage that says just before a major battle, a commanding officer will walk the decks of his ships, look over his aircraft, or take a walk among the troops to make sure they are prepared for battle. Maybe that is why I love serving Communion for in many ways after our church services, all of us are off to battle.

God's blessing on all of you.

Comments:
I think it very special for a shepherd to serve his flock in any way. That you find such joy in serving demonstrates that you love the flock you tend....
 
I'd never thought of my reaction to serving communion but the past many years seldom offered the opportunity. But you got me to thinking and most of the men who served in Long Beach did so with a smile. Most of them. There were always to ones who looked more like pall bearers.
 
I loved what I saw at communion time yesterday. A little boy (5-ish) came to the end of his row, took the tray and personally served everyone in his row. It was a nice way for him to serve and warmed the hearts for the rest of us.

Well... I'm sure there were some who thought it was inappropriate but they would've let him pass it to the next person if he were sitting down so why not pass it to everyone?
 
What a beautiful heart for service you have, Cecil. Your flock is blessed to have you as a shepherd.
 
Donna - Thanks. I equate my love for our folks with the love I have for my wife. I was in love with Barb deeply when we first married and as we have gone through the joys and trials of 27 some odd years, my love for her is far deeper than it was when we first married.

I have always loved Central but the trials, the "ejections" from the brotherhood if you will, and the joys of finding new life in our church has me at the same spot in my life.

Greg - LB is a special place.

Terri - I can't think of a more appropriate model to convey to a young child, one of serving and relationship with God and a church family.

Judy - Thanks. I am bleesed by God to be at Central.
 
Since I started preaching some 13 years ago, nobody has asked me to serve communion. I need to volunteer a few times to let them know I'm available again. I too enjoy interacting with people during that time.
 
Steve - Yes, my time went down as well once I became, you know, I don't want to bother Randy if he is still reading, one of those "e-guys."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?