Monday, January 19, 2009

9 Degrees Real World

I busted out laughing when I read Trey (http://www.treymorgan.net/) Morgan's comment on my last post about "welcome to the real world" on my trip to South Carolina. Yes, there should be no sympathy sent my way when it comes to me and cold weather unless of course, one heads into temps that dip below 10-degrees, right?

We started out on Friday around noon for Gilbert. The more north we drove, the lower the temperature went. That is until I let Steven take a round behind the wheel. There is something to be said about trust when you let your "kid" (18 years old) drive on the interstate. All joking aside he did a great job and his mother and I experienced another one of those "now I know how my parents felt" moment. Our Expo almost had a "Times Square on New Year's Eve" feel as we called out the external temperature readings as they went from the 50's, 40's, 30, and in to the 20's when we arrived in Gilbert. The "19" on the way home made it into the record books as the coldest temperature ever registered by our Expo.

It was great to have Bob with us and I know we gave Steven some comedic moments as he was trying to help me set up my bluetooth while Steven was driving. He was both coaching and laughing at us from the driver's seat. He swore that he could multi-task if we gave him my bluetooth but we told him the old guys were feeling old enough without that happening.

We arrived in Gilbert after 6 and a half hours of driving just missing Bob's son, Nathen's game. After he took a shower, Bob, his wife Shelby, and our family drove to Leesville-Batesburg to eat at Wiz's restaurant. Wiz's has everything from pizza to steak. We were impressed.

We awoke to 9 degree temperatures and no golf. Bob and I took a 5 mile walk across the Lake Murray Dam with temps in the low 30's with Bob while the ladies headed for the Mall. After our walk we did what most folks in that area would do to stay trim, thin, and eat good barbecue - we headed to (apologies to Phillip (http://www.themurphylife.com/) in American Samoa and from that area) Shealy's. Shealy's is a local legend when it comes to good bbq and mass quantities of food. To celebrate our foray to Shealy's, we took the rest of our families to El Chico's Mexican Restaurant in Columbia, the State Capitol, for dinner that night.

We attended services with Bob, Shelby, and Nathen at their church in Gilbert, "The Crossroads Church." They are affiliated with a large Baptist Church in Lexington. Richard, their preacher did a fine job and mentioned Bob and the recent loss of his father.

Ice on the roads prevented us from leaving too soon this morning but we were able to get on the road around 11 and arrived here in beautiful downtown West Cocoa around 5:30pm. The coldest air of the year is headed our way with temps staying in the 50's for the next 2 days. We had a great trip and enjoyed our time with Bob and his family. Now back to the grind tomorrow.

Comments:
You poor thing. Temps in the 50s! Still, someone has to live in Florida, don't they?? Glad you had a good trip. Congratulations on having the nerve to walk five miles, even in 30 degree weather, was it? :) Hey, last night our weather forecasters predicted light flurries for Memphis. As I speak, it is lightly snowing outside with a very light dusting across everything. What fun!!!
 
good enough for you...
 
Seems to me if you could walk over a dam for five miles, you could have walked a golf course ... and possibly less miles involved. Are you and Bob getting OLD?
 
Judy - That was the one thing we thought we might get and didn't, snow.

Terri - Thanks

Greg - Maybe but I will say this, as I told someone else who asked about our walk across the Lake Murray "DAM," "It was the best "Dam" walk I ever had.
 
tomorrow it will finally get back up into the mid 50's here!! I can't wait!
 
yeah. ok. I'm a little jealous. But that 30 degree dam walk doesn't sound too spectacular.
 
Donna - It was amazing how "warm" 35 felt after our 9 degree morning.
 
Phillip - True - it wasn't my favorite "walking weather" but it was a unique venue to walk on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?