Monday, December 15, 2008

Weekend Update

My weekend started with a 5k run down the River Road. It was my first run with a rising full moon over Merritt Island as 6pm approached.

We met some good friends at our favorite Mexican Restaurant. You can’t beat their “Arroz Con Pollo.” We ended up back at the church around 8 for a night of decorating our Fellowship Room, washing potatoes, rubbing down the potatoes in olive oil and sea salt, and an 11pm run to Wal-Mart by Chuck and I in search of paprika. I’m convinced that it was our selection of just the right (Wal-Mart brand) paprika that saved the day.

Saturday was spent as “Barbara’s boy” as I like to call it when she is cooking for 126 people. The expertise that I bring to the table (no pun intended) is an uncanny ability to stuff prime rib with garlic. My philosophy is the more garlic, the better the taste. I’m also an expert in wrapping bacon around chicken filets destined to become Alice Springs Chicken. Barb’s fare of prime rib stuffed with garlic, Alice Springs Chicken, baked potato, corn, green beans, salad, and bread pudding to die by and for, was a hit!

Our annual gift exchange with no limits on the number of times a gift can be “stolen,” was a hit. We have some very creative people when it came to the gifts they brought. We also have some very, well, I won’t go there. J

We were able to sleep in on Sunday. Did we skip church? Nope. Our church held worship at 5pm due to the presentation of a Christmas Play, “A Mouse Christmas.” This was a great production about the birth of Jesus from the perspective of a family of mice. The couple that put this production together accomplished something that should be the goal of most ministries – involved as many people as possible.

Several weeks ago they had asked if we could move the start time for services back to 5pm for 2 reasons –
1. To take advantage of the evening light and our new lighting system.
2. To be able to invite friends and family that could attend their own church services and still attend our “Mouse Christmas.”

We ended our weekend with a group of friends at our local “Outback Restaurant.” The food and company were great. Wish all of you could have been with us.

Comments:
You just look for reasons to be written up by "the brethren," don't you?!
 
Greg - It would seem so or at least I'm sure it does to some of my "faithful readers." :) Other than the fact that I know at times there are some who read my blog who then turn around (since I know its been done in the past) and use it as "blasting material," it never occurs to me to write something as an in your face statement. I just hope by just "being us" in Cocoa, perhaps someone somewhere might be able to use something we've done and adapt it to their church.

Then again, it doesn't bother me if someone reads and states, "We'll never do that here." I believe there is benefit and education even when someone comes to that conclusion.

Gee, I think I've written a whole post in this comment, I wonder? :)
 
Alice Springs Chicken sounds really good! 5 p.m. church sounds really good!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?