Thursday, December 04, 2008

Rut-row On The Halls

“Rut-row” was right for me last night. I had my Wednesday after school all set up or at least I thought so. First, there would be my “short” (hard to believe I think of that distance as “short”) 5K run after school. Next would be the obligatory and “must-a-tory” shower after the run. This would be followed by “Dinner and a Devo” at our church in which “Taco Soup” loomed on the horizon. All of these activities were to be topped off by our annual “Deck the Halls.” This is where we muster the church up, assigned the duties, and then decorate our church for Christmas. Oh, I forgot to mention that I was slated to leave church to drive the 5 minutes to BCC to pick up our blind keyboard player who was nice enough not to consider driving himself from night class to Praise Team practice.

I was looking forward to my yearly specialty of hanging icicle lights in our Fellowship Room in preparation for our Christmas Dinner. That is, until I was walking down the stairs to our Fellowship Room and was met by an older (than me) gentleman who called me by name, held out his hand for a shake, and I had no clue as to who he was?

My mind raced, who is this guy that knows me by name? A new member, a familiar (at least to himself) visitor, an “old” friend, or an Amway (apologies to anyone out there that sells Amway and is now independently wealthy or at least you were) Salesman that I had somehow gotten away from at one time? Nope, none of the above. Anyone want to guess?

“George” as I’ll call him let me off the hook when he saw the blank look in my eye. As we were shaking hands he said something to the effect of, “Thank-you for “YOUR” (that’s right – it was my rut-row) invitation to come to your Elders (which we weren’t having at the point) Meeting tonight. I’m excited to talk about the Mission work in (name changed to protect this work from being hampered by folks who do not like us – sad but true) “blah-blah.”

That’s right 50-something fans. I forgot to write it down thus making it hard for me to share with my fellow elders since it went in and at some point, exited from my reasonable facsimile thereof of a brain. To my brothers’ credit, they rearranged what they had planned for the night, graciously met, (so I didn’t look like a complete idiot) and listen to this brother talk about his work.

So, memo to self:
First, make the Memo!

Happy Thursday. It is Thursday?

Comments:
A sure sign of age and of things to come. It just gets worse. But the conversations between you and Barbara will be hilarious to Steven!!
 
Ha! I resemble this blog.

Peace.
 
Greg - Barbara and Steven who? :)

Puck - Good to see you again. Who is in the picture? :)
 
Welcome to my world
 
I'm 44 and I've been living in this world for a while already. Is it a math genius thing?
 
Terri - So that's why we're "blog kindred spirits." Or maybe its due to being 50?

Steve - (in my best Einstein accent) – “Ya, dis iszz da reason.”
 
Hey now - I'm only 45... I think.
 
Terri - Oops! My bad. There goes my "age" thing again.
 
I had the eerily strange feeling that I had heard wrong for my dinner party Tuesday night. I showed up 10 minutes before anyone else.....I was really afraid I had remembered it wrong...

I feel your pain.
 
Donna - I had that experience a few weeks ago. "The boys" as I call them get together every Thursday morning at 7:15am for breakfast before they cut our church yard. I showed up one Thursday and I was the only there for a few minutes. I had my doubts until the boys showed up.
 
Quite angry here in Lausanne:

You forgot about missions…

You compared the said missions' person to a salesman…

You didn't invite me to that meeting.

Can we meet next week?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?