Friday, December 19, 2008

Nope

After 38 years, Cocoa wins the Class 3A Florida State Championship in overtime, 7 to 6 over Tallahassee Godby.
Highlights are as follows,
1. After hitting the game winning 52 yard fieldgoal last week with time running out to beat Miami Pace, the Cocoa kicker missed 4 fieldgoal attempts during the game.
2. Cocoa holds on a 4th and goal to stop Godby from scoring in regulation.
3. Godby scores a touchdown on the first possession in overtime.
4. Cocoa blocks the extra point attempt.
5. For the first time this year, Cocoa unveils their version of the "Wildcat Offense" putting star running back, Chevelle Buie under center. They score the tying touchdown.
6. The Cocoa Kicker who had gone from "Hero to Zero," goes back to hero again kicking the extra point and giving Cocoa High it's first ever State Championship in football.

Update from my son at the Class 3A Florida State Championship Football game between Cocoa and Tallahassee Godby at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Cocoa - 0, Godby - 0 at the Half.


The title (“Nope”) of today’s “last day of school / post” comes from a conversation I had with one of our members on top of a roof. You might say it was a roof-top experience.

Without giving too many details and changing the names to protect everyone except myself, the roof top conversation went something like this –
(Oh, I forgot to mention it was at night – anybody scared?)

Me: “Did you ever think you’d be sitting next to an elder holding a water hose and bull horn, on top of a roof?”

Spike: “Nope.”

I know, you want details or the number of the nearest Recovery Group for “Roof Climbing @ Night Elders.” Here’s what I can tell you –

1. A local coach wanted to do something for his hard working Team to make a memory.
2. He knows me.
3. He knows my affection for microphones or in this case, bull horns, climbing roofs at night, and holding water hoses that are full on and operational.

The result was the above conversation before said “event” occurred. I needed accomplices. It also resulted in meeting some great young men and having a laugh after the event transpired.

I have to tell you, the view on top of that roof at night was beautiful but it paled in comparison to the bonding that occurred between those boys and their coaches.

Now this may be a spiritual reach but I have to believe, a Creator of Matter itself, who decides to perform His first miracle (John 2) at the request of his Mom by turning water into wine, really thinks having fun matters! May your Christmas be filled with fun that doesn’t necessarily involve climbing roofs at night holding a water hose and bull horn.

BTW – I love John 2:5 where Mary tells the servants, “Do what ever he tells you.” Makes you wonder what her son had done in the past? Merry Christmas!

Comments:
I listened to a good lesson on this passage last weekend. (not that your post isn't a good lesson... I'm just sayin')

I also the verse shows that mothers will be mothers... and what they say has a lot of influence with their kids.
 
Terri - No doubt. I love Patrick Meade's take on this verse. I heard him "translate" Jesus' first response to being told the wine had ran out as, "Bummer."
 
I can pretty much guarantee you that my Christmas experience will NOT involve doing ANYTHING on a roof!! :)

I like that about Mary and her Boy.....
 
Judy - Good to see you again. Yes, you and Doris please stay off the roof.
 
If ever a blog needed more details.
 
Greg - I know. That might be Monday's blog once the "air clears" so to speak. I will say this, holding a fully charged and operational water hose kinked for an extended period time until its ready to be use can be challenging, when you're sitting on a roof, at night.
 
I too will stay off the roof....out of the wine may be another conversation for another day....

I KNOW Jesus meant for us to have joy and FUN!!
 
Just heard from David...COcoa won 7 - 6....State Champs!!
 
Oh...forgot to mention the "said group" got to my house as well. Thank goodness they were wrestlers and not baseball players...they tried to TP the house..not so sucessful but they seemed to be having fun.....especially as they all ran down the street when I open the door on them.

Mark is home from OC.
 
Donna - Sometimes you have to be into the wine to get on the roof so to speak.

Lauramay - Yes, yes, yes - after 38 years, Cocoa Tigers are #1 in the great State of Florida!
 
I remembered a story I should have shared about this roof thing. One day the oldest son and his wife were at our house, and I "casually" mentioned if "somebody" didn't soon come and clean out our gutters, I was going to buy a ladder and get on the roof and do it myself. I added, "and I'll probably fall and break a leg and then everybody will be sorry!" You'd have to know this oldest boy to appreciate this was not really forging a guilt trip but an appropriate conversation with him!! :) Anyway, the next week, he came and did the work, removing the gutter guards from the carport in the process. He didn't come back to put them back up for another couple of weeks. However, when he did, HE fell off the ladder and broke his arm!!! I'll never make idle threats again!
 
Congrats to the home team.

Now, stay off the roof… Santa is coming.
 
I'd like to think that all those years we were part of the chain crew for Cocoa High that somehow set the stage to lead up to this championship. I'd like to think that!! I do remember completely ticking off the AD by going around his back to order the new down marker. You do what you gotta do.
 
Merry Christmas, Cecil!! And stay OFF roofs! I'm deathly afraid of heights and that would NOT do for me.

Glad Cocoa won!! Wonderful news!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?