Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just Be You - in the Lord

Believe it or not, I was going to write today’s post along these lines before I read Greg’s (http://gregengland.com/) comment on yesterday’s post:

“You just look for reasons to be written up by "the brethren," don't you?!”

Most of you know the close relationship Greg and I have with each other of which, humor plays an important part. I’m sure Greg was referring to the fact that we moved our worship time to 5pm this past Sunday to accommodate our children’s play which was presented during church. I think there are some interesting aspects to our making that decision:

1. “We” asked ourselves (believe it or not) “can we do that?”
2. We thought about the impact, positive and negative to our church family.
3. We wanted to give our children’s play the best possible atmosphere to convey it’s important message, the miracle of the birth of Jesus.
3a. “They” (sponsors, children, support staff, and the adults in the play) deserved it! The number of hours they put in to present this special message in our opinion, needed to be honored!

Factors we did not consider:
1. Will Brother or Sister “so and so” be offended by such a decision? It is our conviction that the “weakest link in the chain” should not drive church decisions but rather they should be loved, taught, and inspired to maturity in both Spirit and Word.
2. We never consider if one of our fellow Churches of Christ would be offended. Why? (Naivety warning) Why should they? I know, unfortunately in many fellowships, Satan will distract us with being caught up with issues and what a neighboring church is doing with their on flock.

I can tell you that although far, far from being a “perfect church” or a model to strive for, the one thing I do love about our church is their confidence and support to allow us as church leaders, to function as I’ve illustrated above. If there is any gift I’m thankful for, its this one.

I’m also thankful for my fellow elders, Javier and Curt. We are different in personality but we’re unified in as I’ve said so often before, to just “be us.” I can’t write that without also thanking our ministry team of Don – Pulpit Preacher and so much more, Chad – our youth guy and like his Dad, so much more, and Brenda – our Church Secretary, Don’s wife and Chad’s mother as well as being so much more to our church. I’m convinced that God has had a hand in bringing all of us together at this point in time to show what He can do through and in spite of all of us.

Happy Tuesday family.

Comments:
How I long for the day when the church won't even have to consider whether somebody would be offended by meeting at an earlier hour.

I've got a story about this, but I'm too tired to tell it now. Maybe another time.
 
That mentality leaves you eons ahead of many elderships that can't seem to get beyond not wanting to offend the weakest, grumpiest member. I love to read about where you are as a church family, as a leadership team, and how far you've come in a relatively short amount of time.
 
Steve - I may have blog about this but I know I told someone the other day that I think the lyric from the song, “Breathe,” “I’m desperate for you” should be the goal of each individual Christian in their journey towards spiritual formation. Thinking of what the writer in Hebrews says this goal of being “desperate for Jesus will take our minds away from wanting for “milk,” i.e. – my way, but rather wanting for meat as in the “Beatitudes” or the “final exam” of Matthew 25.

BTW – Please share your story or send me an email.

Greg - Thanks. God has brought us a long ways but we realize that this is a journey without end.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?