Friday, December 26, 2008

Count the Cost

Barb and I enjoyed a date night. We had dinner at Longhorn’s Steakhouse and then saw the latest Tom Cruise movie, “Valkyrie.” Germany and WW2 have always fascinated me. I’m sure the facts that we lived in Germany for 4 years and that I’m an insane history buff probably have something to do with my fascination. I was also fascinated by the fact that the attempted assassination attempt chronicled in “Valkyrie,” was the last of some 15 attempts to kill Hitler. As you can guess, the cost was high for those that were part of the conspiracy to kill Hitler and no doubt that cost was as high for the other people involved in the previous 14 attempts.


Does that not say something for the German people if not humankind? You’d think after failed attempt number, I don’t know, how about #7, that folks would have felt that another attempt was useless? Yet, more attempts are made on Hitler’s life to stop a ridiculous war and to stop the Holocaust. Now, here’s a familiar theme to those in Christ – despite the failure of 15 attempts on Hitler’s life, 9 months after Valkyrie, Hitler commits suicide as WW2 comes to an end. Is there no doubt that the Pharisees and the Romans thought with the crucifixion of Jesus, this renegade religion would come to an end.


Counting the cost and still acting in the name of righteousness are the acts of flawed people trying to correct something that is flawed. I'm reminded of the words of Paul in Phil. 2:


3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Within our own religious movement and heck, even within this blog family, there are those of who put others first and counted the cost and still taught, preached, and acted to correct a flaw despite the fact that you like me, are flawed individuals.


Olan Hicks is one person that comes to mind. When he came to the conclusion that the traditional teaching in our fellowship on divorce and remarriage was flawed, un-Biblical, and permanently damaging lives, he counted the cost. The cost for him was loss of a preaching job, Gospel meetings, and a damage reputation for not only him but also his entire family. Yet, he persevered and now our fellowship has for the most part, accepted his position that he stuck his neck out for many years ago.


If you feel like sharing, I would love for you to share either a personal story or one that you know of someone counting the cost in the name of righteousness. For those of you that are in the middle of counting the cost for something, go see this movie.


Some of your stories I know and my hat is off to all of you. God bless.





Comments:
I'd like to see that movie but I despise Tom Cruise and refuse to support his movies. (Cecil, you know how I can be!)I did watch a History Chanel special on the assassination attempts on Hitler's life and there were 42 in all! Amazing that all of them failed, thus further convincing Hitler that he was, in fact, blessed of God.
 
Greg - Its what I love about you Bro. :)
What I'm having trouble believing is that you trumped me with my favorite channel. Man, I must be slipping. :)
I did see that HC Special but I missed that point which furthers my "slipping theory."
 
I've thought I'd like to see that movie, as well.

Let me think on the counting issue. I don't know that I've ever done much of anything in this area.........maybe small things, like honesty even when it will cost.
 
Mr. Riley saw this movie Saturday afternoon and as much as I hated to support Tom Cruise, I am SO glad I saw this movie. It was very informative and there was a scene at the end that made me wonder if I have that kind of loyalty and love in me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?