Thursday, November 13, 2008

You Give and Take Away

First, I want to thank everyone who commented about their spiritual journey yesterday and for those you may not have commented but reflected as well. Sometimes it helps to know where we’re going by thinking about from where we came.

A quick commercial – I ran 6 miles on Monday! Now I know for folks like Brady (http://www.evendays.org/) and Trey, (http://www.treymorgan.net/) a 6-mile run is a warm-up but for this 50-year old, it’s a bit of an accomplishment. I know for some (Greg) they would liken it to an unsuccessful assisted suicide and I must admit that even my lovely wife asked, “Why are you doing this?”

Now on to my subject. On the way to school this morning, our local Contemporary Christian Radio Station was playing one of my favorite songs, “Blessed Be Your Name.” I always turn up the volume when it gets to this part:

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name!

Most of you know this comes from Job 1:20 – 22.
20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart. [c]
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."
22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

As I thought about that song and those verses, all of you, my blog family and my church family came to mind. There seems to be a consistent theme for all of us who have committed to not only being a Christian but also leading in some way whether it be a minister, elder, deacon, or ministry leader. That theme is that if we hang in there long enough, we too will see the Lord “give and take away.”

What things has the Lord taken away from you and by the way, this list may get a bit touchy because some of my things you might argue God doesn’t take. I’m not trying to get into a theological argument. I’m just going to list some “things” that I once had that I know longer have such as:

Parents, friends, a Bible Camp, a church, a reputation among some, just to name a few.

Now I know that our “given list” for all of us would include Jesus, our salvation, our ongoing transformation into His image, and God’s unmerited Grace and those alone certainly trump any and all of the members of the “taken away” list. Beyond those, what things has the Lord given you? My list would include:

(I feel somewhat ashamed and Judy reminded me of the blessing our BLOG FAMILY) My wife, my son, friends, a church trying to be Jesus to each other and the community as well as be non-denominational, a Bible Camp that actually wants us, freedom, people around me who do ministry far better and deeper than I ever could, humor, a job that is also a calling, good health for the moment, just to name a few.

What would your lists include? Feel free to share.

Comments:
Taken:
Paremts, Brother, Sister, Nephew, Niece, Sister-in-law, Friends, Relationships, Health of Family Members, to name a few.
Given (in no particular order):
Doris & Family; Church Family; Opportunities for Service; New Freedom and Confidence in Christ; Income and Benefits in Retirement; Friends and Reconnection with Old Friends; Blogging Family, Friends, & Community; Measure of Health; Parents Who Taught Me to Work; A Mother Who Encouraged my Education; Relief from Recent Physical Pain; A Measure of Peace
to name only a few.

(A funny side note: the word verification for this comment is "stablist.") :)
 
I love that song too.

Taken: My assurance that I was right, my need to be right, my comfort that if I just attended three times a week all was well, My Randy (minister who moved...), a sense of belonging.

Given: A broader perspective; and appreciation for all of God's children; Love from so many. The joy of being a Mimi!
 
Judy - Thanks for sharing and reminding me of blogging and our blog family as being something God has certainly given us.

djg - Great list and insight. Thanks for sharing.
 
First... WOW! 6 miles!!! I guess I'd better move to a warmer place because I've not run/walked in a WEEK! I'll do better tomorrow...

The Lord gives and takes away but I try to remember that the things that are no longer with me in a physical sense, are with me in a different sense. I can remember the things (good and bad) that I have been given. I hope that I can learn all my lessons!

DJG - Why did he take our Randy?
 
that girl- I can imagine running 6 miles in a cold clime like Arkansas. Cold air burns the old lungs. Great perspective on the post. Thanks for sharing.
 
You just want to get us thinking, don't you?!

Taken:
old life, aunts,friends,self-confidence, relationships, grandparents, health of parents, my own health

Given:
new life, a husband who adores me, three wonderful boys,confidence in God, a great job, good friends who are there for me, a wonderful church that is showing Christ to others, better relationships,
 
How about on the given side my own brohammer, fellow camp co-ordinator, and north end elder friend!

Peace.
 
lauramay - Our church is a blessing to be sure. Thanks for sharing. I agree with your 3 boys being a "given" from God.

Puck - Thanks Bro. I cannot tell you how much your friendship, guidance, co-camp-coordinating has met to me. From the north end I say to you, "Salute."
 
Taken:
My father, my grandmothers and grandfathers,"friends" I thought were friends, my desire for certain things I don't need.

Given: Wonderful wife and four beautiful kids, Creekside Church, Three great shepherds, a new relationship with an old friend, will power to lose 42 pounds, and a bazillion other things too numerous to mention.
 
Fresh off an incredible cruise, my list of blessings is far too long.

There have been times in my life when I've dwelt on the "taken." A divorce. A father who died too young. A job with, as you know, its tough times.

I'm just blessed to be at a time when the valleys seem so shallow and the mountains so very high.
 
Keith - 42lbs! You go and thanks for the response.

Steve - The Math Bro is back. I'm jealous of the cruise as Barb and I haven't been on one yet. Your "taken" list like everyone elses, contains "items" that any one of them, on their own could alter a life. To say that I am in awe of all of you, who still attempt to walk a life of faith despite your "taken" list gives me great hope.

God bless all of you.
 
......and God bless you, Cecil!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?