Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Truth Part 1

“What is truth?” “Where can you find truth?” “Are “we” the only ones who have truth?” How about that for some light questions to start my first post of the week? I believe truth can be found in many places. I still remember being in a “World’s Religions Class” at a secular college and hearing what I thought was truth, being taught. I remember being confused. What I heard from a secular Professor sounded like it matched up with Biblical Truth but he wasn’t part of “us.” How could this guy know, teach, or have any claim to truth without being one of us? You know, the ones who claim to know all truth and have all the answers which by the way, at this time of my life was not “Churches of Christ.”

I believe we need to teach a Biblical worldview of truth and part of that worldview is that God is not somewhere else or confined to a certain group or people as well as His Truth. Just look at Isaiah 6:

1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."

God and His truth are right here among us. Look at Psalm 24:1

1 The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;

I believe the New Testament bears this out as well. In Matthew 8, Jesus takes a statement of faith from a Roman Centurion who is far from being a fellow Jew, and claims it as truth.

I’ll close with this – We need to be “grounded in Scripture” (1 Thess.5:21) so can test what is good and truthful. However, this “grounding” does not confine us to staying within our own confines to finding truth. Hang in there for the next post when I’ll attempt to discuss the ramifications of this viewing of Truth.

Comments:
Can we trust you to blog the truth? :)
 
This made me think of a quote I read today...

The Bible is like a telescope. If a man looks through his telescope, then he sees worlds beyond; but if he looks at his telescope, then he does not see anything but that. The Bible is a thing to be looked through, to see that which is beyond; but most people only look at it; and so they see only the dead letter.



Phillips Brooks
 
ececil... that was a good post - I might just learn something from you after all!
 
Greg - I want to say one of my favorite movie lines from a "Few Good Men. "I want the truth!" You know the reply. :)

djg - Nice quote. Thanks for sharing.

Terri - Its that law of averages thing or as my West Cocoa neighbor would say, "Even a blind hog (that would be me) finds an acorn every now and then." :)
Thanks.
 
I like your global perspective of truth. Too many Americans think it only exists here.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?