Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Its Alright

So it’s finally here, Election Day! Oh, I approve this message.  This past Sunday we dedicated our service to our “senior saints” and sang all “traditional (whatever that is) songs.” One of them is coming to mind as I think about the election.

Our Praise Team sang the “Its alright” intro to the song, “Just A Little Talk With Jesus.” I can still hear Steven’s tenor voice singing that part. I thought he was (warning: proud Papa / old man moment coming) really good. As I said, the “its alright” part keeps reverberating in my mind for no matter who wins today, tomorrow, or in (little Florida / recount humor coming) December, God is in control. Take a deep breath family because as the song says, its alright NO matter who wins.

Now, don’t think I’m telling you to shriek that responsibility of voting. If you haven’t already voted, get out there, stand in line, smile, feel free to sing “Its Alright” along with “Just a little talk with Jesus makes me whole,” and be a light to the world. Light doesn’t stop shining just because darkness wants to close in.

If you’re still here, here’s a story about that song:

At the last church I was at, there were several factors that led us to leave after 20-something years. One of them was that song, Just A Little Talk With Jesus. The preacher devoted an entire sermon to the “false teaching” of that song. Can anybody guess why? Yep, you got it – everyone knows that the lyric, “Just a little talk with Jesus makes me whole,” refers to a belief in baptism not being necessary for salvation. Right? At least, that’s what he taught in a sermon.

Then a friend of mine spoke to him after his sermon and asked, “What about the part that goes, “It bathe my heart in love?” Couldn’t that refer to baptism?” Of course his answer was there was no way to tell since the song was written by a Rev. Derricks who was born in 1910. I know, you’re thinking a discussion of such a matter is silly and you’re right but let me add one more post script.

One of our song leaders was in the Army Reserve and was away at Drill during that Sunday. He was the song leader for the following Sunday. Guess what song he led off with? Un-huh. I went up to him after the service and before I could say anything he asked me, “Why was the preacher scowling at me?” My response, “You didn’t get the “holy memo” brother but you will shortly.

BTW – the Church blasted that song out that day. Remember family, it will be alright.

Comments:
It's alright
 
I remember you calling me to tell me about Ray leading "Just a Little Talk" the next Sunday, which was priceless.

Yes, it's alright, but it might not be until Jesus returns that it will really be alright.
 
I've heard that sermon but it was in Texas not in Florida. I was instructed not to lead the song during the service which of course made me want to lead all the more. Especially after the nonsensical arguments in the sermon why the song was anti-biblical. I still remember the arguments the preacher used - makes for a great illustration regarding spice tithing legalism.
 
That's one I haven't heard! The argument........not the song. I like that "it's alright" song! Agree with you. Unless Jesus returns tonight, the sun will come up in the morning!
 
terri - I can hear it in my head.

Greg - You are really right. :)

Randy - Looks like Florida and Texas have something in common - psycho preachers.
 
I've never heard that argument, eitiher. Wow. That's downright stupid, stupid, stupid.

I happen to love that old, old song! For one thing, it can be sung with such enthusiasm, you know?

Now it's in my head. But, that's all right!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?