Monday, November 24, 2008

Gator Heads - A "Commanding" Post

This post will contain a plethora of thoughts from the last few days. Along a familiar theme of “how do I know I live in a (and I say this with pride) redneck area” – I called one of my good friends at church to see what he was doing this past Friday. The conversation went something like this:

Me: “Hey Buddy, how’s your Friday been?”
Buddy: “Fine, I’m coming home from Deland.”
Me: “Really? What are you doing over there?”
Buddy: “I’m picking up my son’s gator head.”
Me: (as if this happens every day) “Cool.”

As I told my friend, there can’t be too many other places in the world where 2 friends could be having such a conversation. For clarification, his son killed an 11ft. gator during the recent gator hunting season. He had the head mounted.

Speaking of conversations, we had one of those “holy ground” conversations with our son this past week. Not that he even comes close to being perfect for neither are his mother and father. We’re on a journey towards spiritual transformation. In that quest he thanked us for being the type of parents that always insisted whether he wanted to or not, on him going to church and attending youth functions. He told us that he didn’t know where he would be spiritually, if we had allowed him to have his way when it came to our commitment to our Savior.

Parenting is tough work but I’m reminded of a movie line that our preacher reminded me of in a recent sermon. In the movie, “Midway,” Cmdr. Carl Jessop played by Cliff Robertson, asks Vice Admiral “Bull” Halsey played by Robert Mitchum, his opinion concerning a decision he has to make as the newly appointed Commander of our remaining Carrier Fleet and Halsey’s replacement.

Halsey looks at him and says, “If you’re in command, command.” Parents are given a tremendous and precious responsibility, the raising of the next generation. If you’re a parent, then parent.

I’ll leave on that note. Happy Monday.

Comments:
Being in command (putting it in the southern slang) ain't always what it's cracked up to be. Some decisions that our kids think we love to make aren't always things we love to decide. People who think it's easy raising kids, probably never had any.
 
I think it's important to make the kinds of decisions you guys made with firmness.

But then, someone, NOT your son, out there probably has a blog complaining about how their parents used to make them go to church, against their will and all.

Love you, Bro.
 
Keith - Isn't that the truth.

Brady - Oh, there is no doubt my brother but I believe that even those "bloggers" in their heart of hearts will recognize the motives if not the decisions.

Love you too Bro. God bless.
 
I personally sit up all night long and think about ways to make my teenagers life miserable....or at least he thinks I do. But in reality, he knows I am there for him at all times with unconditional love at all time. I am usually the bad parent, the one that makes him go to church, do his homework, and ask him to call when he gets to where he is going. My ex...well, he is more like the fun uncle.
 
Jessica had a similar talk with us, thanking us for a firm stand we took with her in high school ... she was very grateful. Our feelings were all but beyond description! You do the best you can and then they reach that age where they make their own decisions and you just hope something you did "took"!
 
That's too funny (as if this happens every day)!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?