Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Christians and Pres. Obama

And so the great American Experiment, one that has been recycled every 4 years since the nomination of George Washington, the election of an American President. I call it an “experiment” because like our walk with God, it is a work in progress.

I remember voting for the first time in 1976, the race between Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter. A race when the office of President was perhaps at it’s weakest following the unprecedented resignation of Richard Nixon and his Vice-President, (how many of you remember this name) Spiro Agnew.

The other reason I call it an experiment is something we as Americans, can be proud of – the smooth transition of power. Or, another way to put it, when my bitter (although John McCain ran a classy race) rival becomes my supporter. This phenomenon of America plays itself out every day, especially in sports. In a game as violent as football, a sport that each rival is literally trying to knock the other’s head off, at the end of the game each rival can walked up to each other, hug, shake hands, and even at times, pray together.

Can Christians support President Obama, even if we didn’t vote for him? Absolutely and this goes beyond our call to duty as Americans. No, this goes to the very heart of the Christian experience. Truth is bigger than what we only hear in churches, from preachers, and from fellow Christians. I believe that to be true because:

1. Matthew 8:5 – 13, the Roman Centurion. Jesus doesn’t just find truth in this professional soldier of an occupying force, he finds faith greater than he has come across in any of his fellow Jews.

2. Acts 17:23 – Paul quotes an inscription of a Greek Idol to teach truth to the Athenians.

3. Titus 1:12 – 13, Paul quotes a Cretan Philosopher and even states that his statement about folks from Crete is truth.

Now I stated all of that to say this, we as Christians can find truth and right in an Obama Presidency. That doesn’t mean that we will agree or like everything he will say or do. Paul calls on us to do the following with anything of the world as Christians:

I Thessalonians 5:16 - 22:
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not put out the Spirit's fire. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject whatever is harmful.

Remember family, we live in the world, we experience the world, we are to test the world, hold on to what is good and reject what is harmful. We can do that no matter who is our President.

God bless, God bless our new President, and God bless the USA.

Comments:
Amen................and God bless you for your encouragement.
 
Peter tells us to pray for those in office or power (rulers), but he doesn't give us the context of the prayer. My prayer for Obama might not be the same as your prayer for Obama. As for God blessing the USA, I believe God may very well let us go our own way as he did with Israel until we destroy ourselves and then seek him again. If you look at the agenda (which, for some strange reason, McCain all but ignored in his "campaign" for what it was worth) of Obama and his congressional ilk, it will be most detrimental to this nation.

So, YES, God bless the USA in spite of our national rejection of Godly character and principle.
 
Judy - You're welcome.

Greg - I say, "God bless the USA" as an American and (no offense towards you brother, just making a point) patriot. I also have my Christian / historical eyes open enough to realize what you said (I believe God may very well let us go our own way as he did with Israel until we destroy ourselves and then seek him again) could very well come true.

The flesh in me would rather not see what you warn about come true but the Spirit in me realizes the possible inevitability as well as benefits to driving this country back to God in the guise of persecution and hard times.

Yet, being the "glass is half full" kind of guy that I am, I will look for the positive in the coming Administration and pray for guidance for our future President.

The alternative is to go around with such a negative outlook on things that I'm useless to the cause of Christ.
 
I think we need to remember how God can use even the worst leaders to complete his purposes. If we are more concerned about Him living in our lives then we will BE blessing the USA...
 
djg - Great points. In fact, Christians do their best work under the worst conditions.
 
I think I'm probably the one who gave Greg such a pessimistic outlook, because Tom & I are extremely pessimistic about the future of this country.

However, I think (as Donna said) that in such times that Christians can and will shine as beacons of God to those around them in the darkness.

Much prayer is needed and offered.

Dee
 
Watching the election from here, where everything was pro-Obama, made it difficult to be objective. But I've heard it's the same thing on your side of the pond.
President elect Obama will do his best. But too much is expected of him, and he has lead men and woman to believe he can change things that he can't. That is too bad.
He will be in our prayers, as we pray for the European governments too. And I firmly believe that God is in control, even if we don't know how to define marriage.
 
Dee - I know, its easy for all of us to have a gloomy outlook towards the future. I just wanted to clarify (I hope I did) that I'm not sitting here with my fingers crossed, expecting the best. If I listen to my inner thoughts my outer demeanor would be unlike the one I usually have. Be that as it may and apologies to Bill Clinton supporters, in many ways we had the same kind of gloom and doom outlook when he took office. Yet, we’re still here so for me, I might as well smile as often as I can, try to be a light to folks I come into contact with, and as President Bush told President-elect Obama, try to have some fun.

However, what works for me may not work for others and I respect that.

Brady - Great points. What have we become when we have to define marriage.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?