Friday, October 24, 2008

Voting

I’m heading off to vote early today courtesy of having my planning period rotate to the last hour. It goes without saying that we are living in extraordinary times. Just some things off the top of my head include:
1. The War on Terror.
2. The possible collapse of our economy. For the first time in recent memory, words such as recession and even depression being used.
3. I guess this goes with #2 but I would include the housing market.

Interesting enough, I’ve been listening to a local A.M. radio station that carries “Catholic Radio.” I’ve found it interesting in the last few days as Bishop after Bishop, and Priest after Priest are urging their Catholic members to place abortion and the repeal of Roe vs. Wade at the top of their “list” when casting their ballots. No, I’ll take back the word “interesting” and replaced it with the word “admirable.” You have to admire a group of church leaders that will not only take a stand on the killing of unborn children, but also go public with their stance and influence.

I know the subject of politics and Christians is a touchy subject. I don’t pretend to have all the answers and could very well be wrong in how I would “discuss” my method for assessing and voting for a particular candidate. I guess I’ll leave with a question:

What issue or issues drive your selections? This can be a rhetorical blog but if you choose to leave an answer, feel free.

BTW – in the past, mine have been “National defense” and “Education.”

Have a good weekend.

Comments:
This will not further endear you to me, but you know I've never been a fan of national education (though my wife was a teacher for 25 years) so education is one of those things where the government throws money by the dump truck-full and we rarely see any difference made. But my vote is mostly tempered by national defense and just an overall wish for someone to be more interested in the nation than in political power. As a result, no one in this election interests me at all.
 
I'm disappointed and frustrated with how "things" have gone in this campaign. So much so that I'm almost turned off to the whole process.

But, every time I think about these feelings for long, I remember that this is precisely what Soros and those of his ilk want. They know if the majority of the electorate remains engaged, they win.

If only those who dance around the fringes are engaged, they have the winning formula for now. This is because they control the most of the media and can effectively vilify anyone who opposes them.

Make no mistake about it, these folks have a dastardly agenda for our nation, which is only being hinted at in the moment.

If we want evil to triumph, then let's do nothing. If we want grace and righteousness to rain down upon us, then let's stay engaged. Let's stand up and speak out. Let's refuse to allow anyone, anywhere, any time to steal away our willingness to be salt, light and leaven in this world for God's glory.

You can guess what issues matter most to me. I think you probably know by now, though.

Sincerely,

Bill the Plumber
 
Second paragraph should read:

But, every time I think about these feelings for long, I remember that this is precisely what Soros and those of his ilk want. They know if the majority of the electorate remains DISengaged, they win.
 
I voted on Wednesday. Being a Government teacher, it has been an interestning year teaching ...I spend a lot of time looking up what is true and not true from both candidates. I will have to say, I voted an issue....right to life and that is how I voted. This next President might have the opportunity to put on two Supreme Court Justices. Just something to think about.
 
I voted too. I even got to vote for California stuff.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?