Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"Terr-ible, Terr-ible"

I know some of you will find this (except the ones who have spent any time with me beyond “blog space”) hard to believe but I can be aggravating at times. Yes, it is true and I readily confess it. My lovely wife of 27 years knew I had the gift of aggravation when she found out that I knew all the verses to “American Pie.” Oh, she doesn’t like that song and much to her consternation, I do. In fact, I periodically “attempt” to sing that song while I’m in the (sorry for the visual) shower.

Barb at one time was a teacher of “Emotionally Handicapped Children” (EH) which made her a prime candidate for marrying and “handling me.” She told me one of my most annoying habits (I know, its hard to believe that I have more than one) is the act of perseverating. Anyone know what “perseverating” means? Anyone know what “perseverating” means?

Know, that wasn’t a typo. I just gave you a cyberspace example. It is the act of repeating a word or phrase over and over again. With respect to me I have this particular gift, I mean habit of becoming amused by a commercial, comedy skit, joke, some incident of life, or a word that I will then precede to “perseverate” over, much to the aggravation of my lovely wife. My latest incident comes from a video at http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1195256/frank_tv_charles_barkley/

This is a video of Frank Caliendo imitating Charles Barkley, former Auburn Tiger, Philadelphia 76er, Phoenix Sun, and member of the 1992 Olympic Dream Team basketball player. Charles is a regular on the NBA Show on TNT as a commentator. In the video, Ernie Johnson asks Barkley what he thought of the Denver Nuggets defensive performance against the Los Angeles Lakers. “Barkley” answers back by saying in so many words, “Ernie, they were (pronounced “terr-ible”) terrible, terrible. It was so terrible they offended me. They’re crazy. They need to be all over Kobe Bryant just like we need to be all over Kim Jong-Il. Kim Jong-Il is nuts. He’s going to blow up the world. (my favorite part) Kim Jong-Il is a knucklehead!”

Now you can probably guess which part I’m perseverating. Oh, I must also admit that I’ve dragged my son into my perseverating but hey, he wouldn’t be my boy if he didn’t possess this ability to latch on to something that most folks don’t find funny and repeat it over and over again.

My latest episode involved taking out the trash this morning. Barb said, “Don’t forget today is trash day.” My answer:

“Trash Day? I need to be all over the trash just like we need to be all over Kim Jong-Il! Kim Jong-Il is crazy. He’ll blow up all of our garbage trucks. Terrible, terrible, he’s a knucklehead.”

Now, as my relatives from Kentucky might say about me with respect to Kim Jong-Il being a knucklehead:

I Are One Too.

Comments:
Words of wisdom from Sir Charles...
 
you made me laugh..so that should count for something, even if you do have the act of perseverating. Now personally I think that is a middle school teacher's talent....you have to have the act of perserverating just to teach a middle school student or keep your sanity teaching middle student kids.
 
I enjoyed this post as well as all your others. I need this read tonight. Thank you for sharing it with us. I have been blessed. Your blog has been such an encouragement and blessing to my life. I constantly pray for you, your family, and ministry. I hope you have a fantastic week. Keep up the great blogging.
 
that girl - My son was impressed that you knew who Charles Barkley was.

lauramay - Yes, yes, yes! I have students accuse me of running my class like a "game show." I'd rather they think of me as being the Math Teacher version of "Monty Hall" than being "terr-ible, terr-ible."

preacherman - You are so kind my brother. You, your blog, and your perseverance do the same for me. Besides that, I'm a great believer in "my" 2 rules of Church Leadership:
1. Don't take yourself too seriously.
2. You have to laugh.
God bless you brother.
 
Thanks for the laughs! But, now that phrase is going to be going through my head all day!
 
Now for 10 years we've been on our own, and moss grows fat on a rolling stone, but that's not how it used to be.

Oh yeah, I know all the words too, brother. Nothing wrong with that. Or for singing in the shower. That song was written to be sung in the shower. (Too bad my wife's always in bed when I'm in the shower. If I sing, I'll wake her up.)
 
Very, very funny! That's one of my favorite Caliendo pieces - especially when he's on set with Barkley imitating Barkely.
 
Judy - I know it was "terr-ible, terr-ible" of me to do something like that.

Steve - "When the jester sang for the king and queen,
In a coat he borrowed from James Dean
And a voice that came from you and me-eee!"

Sing brother sing! I would even wear my Angels Hat as you sing to your wife.
 
Randy - Have you seen his "Fab 5 / Charles Barkley routine?"

Ooh, that gives me an idea for a blog! Who is in your "Blog Fab 5?"
 
Everybody in Alabama knows Sir Charles...heck we thought he might be our next Governor...

I may possibly know all the words to American Pie too, I thought everyone did.
 
Cecil -

I'm really impressed that you know all of the words to American Pie! I think that's great!

Have you seen the really terrific YouTube rendering of that entire song with all of the graphics explaining what each part, line by line, means? If you haven't, you really MUST see it.

I'll go see if I can find it, again, myself. It was neat.

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?