Friday, October 10, 2008

Reminder

I have always been a proponent of being open and honest as a church, as a movement in the United States, Florida, and in Central Florida when it comes to our “history.” When someone who isn’t familiar with any of the aforementioned, asks me “who we are,” I quickly affirm the positives and negatives of that answer as I’ve come to learn it and, or experience it. I’m sure all of us could write multiple posts on the positives and negatives of Churches of Christ. I’d like to add a new positive.

This past weekend we were host to a (http://www.hofvdc.org/) “Via de Cristo.” A Via de Cristo is an interdenominational group that holds 4 “Retreats” a year, two in the Fall for men and then women and then 2 in the Spring, again one for men and one for women. This past week was the Fall Retreat for the men. The “candidates” as they are referred to, met at a local Methodist Church, were prayed over and then bussed to our building on that Thursday. They then spent Thursday evening, all day Friday and Saturday, and then “graduate” on Sunday afternoon.

The purpose of the retreat is to draw these men closer to God to be better husbands, dads, and church members. In fact, one of the last assignments they’re given is to go back to their local church and ask their Preacher what they can do for them to help them minister to their church.

Don relayed to me how one of the “graduated candidates” came by our building during his lunch break the other day. He asked Don if he could come inside and spend some time in prayer. He told Don that when he drives by our building, it reminds him of his “Via de Cristo” weekend and how he is now trying to walk closer to God.

I was encouraged when Don relayed this story to me. I found it a nice contrast to some other things that Don told me concerning our visitors. Don said many of them were “surprised” that a Church of Christ would allow them to use their facility. Seems “we” have this reputation as being at the very least, unfriendly when it comes to other Christians from other denominations and at the very worst, down right convinced that “we” are the only ones walking with the Lord.

As I said in an earlier post, between the workers (one from our church) and the candidates (one from our church), 45 different churches were represented. At the Graduation Ceremony, one of the speakers pointed out Don who was running the sound for them, as being the Pastor of “this” church. Don said everyone (over 200) stood and gave him a standing ovation. I wish I had been in our auditorium to hear that ovation.

I guess I do hear it everytime I think about the men who drive by our building now and look at it as a reminder of their re-newed commitment to Jesus.

Have a good weekend family

Comments:
Cecil -

I'm sorry I'm so behind in commenting! I've kept up with reading all your posts - which have been very good - but haven't had the time to do more.

This one is very encouraging! I love it. It's great to know that y'all are reaching out in the community and that it is blessing those people. I love that that man came by to talk and pray. God be blessed.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Much love,

Dee
 
What a testimony...all I can say is Praise God....these are such changes for the Good of the work of our Lord...we are now reaching out and sharing our relationship with Christ with others, other than thinking we were the only ones that had it. (Which by the way, I never thought that of us...but I have always been one that moves to a different beat....guess that comes with living with a drummer).
 
I LOVE it!!
 
I hope you and your family have a great weekend too. Your blog is such a blessing to so many believers. Keep up the great work you do with your blog.
 
Dee - Great to see you and thanks. Hang in there.

Greg - Thanks.

Lauramay - Yes and we love and miss that drummer.

Judy - Thanks.

preacherman - Thanks brother and you do the same.
 
I can hear it all the way in north Alabama. Praise God!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?