Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Irony

Although I know Greg will disagree with me with their very existence, there are some benefits to running. For me it gives me time to think and to pray. I know, some of you might think that I’m praying for my survival as I run and you might be right. Yesterday’s run/survival/ prayer included requests to stop the monsoon rain along with a “Caddy Shack / Catholic Priest playing golf in a T-storm” howling wind. When I had clarity of thought (and the weather) I was struck (not by lightening) by the irony of my Monday runs.

When I was in College, a group of us had a habit of running to get in shape. Ironically for some reason, one of us came up with a route that led directly to a Dairy Queen. We would run a couple of miles to DQ, consume in mass quantities (my favorite, the good old chocolate shake) some kind of desert, and then attempt to run back home with our bellies full. Of course, running 2 miles on an empty stomach is one thing. To attempt to run 2 miles on a Tyrannosaurus Rex like engorged stomach full of liquid food of the gods, that’s another. Ah to be young and yes, dumb again.

Now, without naming names, I’m sure some of you are thinking this 50 year old geezer is no longer “young and dumb.” No, we’ve now progressed to the higher celestial plane of “Old and delirious.” I was going to say “Old and stupid” but I felt that was a bit harsh and after all, it is my blog. Nevertheless, there has been a progression.

My runs have increased to 5 miles and I no longer jog to a Dairy Queen. Now my Monday runs consist of jogging to our Weight Watchers meetings at our church on Mondays. I no longer run as a 20 year old but as a 50 year old with my 18 year old son and his 18 year old friend. Life can certainly be ironic.

Have an ironic day.

Comments:
I'm proud of you, How about Old and Bold? :)
 
Last week, we ran to Pizza Hut, ordered pasta, and turned around to race home and beat the delivery guy!!!
 
Judy - There you go! I like that, "Old and Bold."

that girl - Gotta have those "carbos" to feed the machine.
 
I was never a runner except during the years I was a basketball official and I usually would consider the first game of the season as my time to get in shape! But I used to walk about 4 miles each day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening), with Chipper, which made it more like an 8 mile walk! During that time I did a lot of praying and thinking and working out sermon ideas. It was the best part of any day.
 
Wonderful post.
By the way did you guys get a blizard when you were done running? LOL! I probably would have.
 
Greg - Walking, praying, hanging out with Cujo, I mean Chipper, and keeping my sunglasses from her digestive track - priceless.

preacherman - This would have been 1977 - 1980. Did DQ have Blizzards back then? I'm giving away my age now.
 
Mmmmmmmm....blizzards.

That may not be the only thing I should have gotten from that.
 
Steve - If they had blizzards back then I would have gotten the chocolate mint one.
 
Wow, I just hope I can get to the running part. I've lost a lot of weight, but it's been with walking mostly. Some tennis. I still feel great and hope that I can do some running one day. Really proud of you bro!!
 
My 52 year old brother has started running marathons. It must be a guy thing...The funny thing about Dairy Queen is I seldom want it when I am exercising strenuously, but when I am lazy...it sounds great! Heath Bar Blizzard for me!
 
Keith - Thanks Bro. That's something that I need to add, either tennis or raquetball. We do have a group of us that play beach volleyball on Sunday afternoons. Oh, don't worry, no speedo for me.

djg - Marathons! I can't even imagine.
 
Glad you are running. I blew out an ankle 2.5 months ago so haven't been able to be out there. A few bike rides last week.

And no DQ in sight here.

Keep running.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?