Thursday, October 09, 2008

Humor Rolls

The last time I watched Jeff Foxworthy when he was doing his “You know you’re a redneck if you _______,” he said that a member of one of his audiences had given him one to add to his repertoire. It went like this:

“You know you’re a redneck if you’ve ever had a beaver bite off your nipple.”

The story that generated this saying was a guy and some of his buddies came up on what appeared to be a dead beaver. One of them went up to the “dead” beaver, picked it up, and said, “Hey, look at this.” According to the gentleman, apparently the words, “Hey, look at this,” are the words needed to bring a dead beaver back to life because the “dead” beaver suddenly wheeled around and bit off the nipple of the man holding it!”

Now, why might I relay such a piece of Americana to you? Today on my way to work I had the pleasure of seeing not one, but two otters (I know, they’re not beavers) cross in front of me on my way to work. Where else but in beautiful downtown West Cocoa, Florida can one witness such an event?

Speaking of a beautiful event I had a “beautiful” phone call from my son yesterday. Since we’re on a “sense of humor” kick these last days lets talk about God’s sense of humor. I am a 28 year veteran of teaching math. What does God do to try and mess with me; he gives me a son who struggles in Math. Math is the one subject Steven must put extra hours in to be successful. Tuesday night he and his “New Orleans buddy, Zack, stayed up into the wee hours of the night cramming for a couple of tests including Steven’s College Algebra Test. The results: He called me during lunch yesterday to say he made an A on the test!!

Keeping on the roll of good news Steven was told by the BCC Coach that he made the team. In fact, he asked him if he could pitch. Steven told him he’d rather play middle infield and the coach acknowledge that but told him that he liked his arm and he might see some time on the mound.

That’s it from “2 Otter Land.” Tomorrow’s post: Some words about the Via de Cristo that was held at our church last weekend.

Comments:
I want an autographed photo (of the new team member - not the otters)
 
that girl - I'll do my best and thanks for not asking for the "otters." I would perfer to not become another "sermon illustration" for Mr. Foxworthy.
 
Yes, believe me, I'm monitoring my boy's math skills closely. But from what I know of yours, he has the best knowledge possible.
 
I am so proud of Stephen...tell him I am sending him a big hug. That is just so cool...an A & making the team.
 
Yay.....on both counts for Steven!

and

I'm glad you didn't stop to try and pick up the critters.....
:)
 
Cecil -

You "otter" get some mileage out of seeing those two lovely creatures other than getting a blog out of it! Come on! It sounds like good material for Foxworthy to me.

Congrats to Steven on the math test!! Amazing what study will do for a student, isn't it?! Too bad more of them don't apply that solution to their problems. STUDY!!

Cheers!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?