Friday, October 17, 2008

Homeward Bound

As I was driving on I-95 (which is being widened to 3 lanes) on the way to school today, I was listening to Simon and Garfunkel’s hit song, “Homeward Bound.” As I exited I saw a sight I’ve never seen before today. A group of about 8 Road Construction workers had formed a circle around one of their co-workers. He was leading them in stretching exercises. It was strange to see a bunch of hard charging and hard working guys doing an imitation of “above ground synchronized swimming” in an effort to get ready for the day.

The circle as well as the song (Homeward Bound) also reminded me of many memories, from the time Steven was 4 through High School when his various baseball teams would “circle up and stretch.” In this time of political debates, Joe the Plumber, Stock Market meltdowns as well as Tampa (watched it to the bitten end with son) Bay Rays meltdowns, the circle had me going homeward bound in my mind. There is nothing as pure, innocent, and hopeful as a baseball team circling up and stretching before a game.

A good friend of mind lost his Dad this past week. His Dad was the model of being a shepherd for both his sons and the various brothers and sisters in Christ that he came into contact with. My friend is one who as Max Lucado wrote, speaks with a “gentle thunder.” Where are church is today is largely due to him, his faith in God, his Shepherd’s heart, and the father that we will memorialize tomorrow. This man of God is homeward bound.

I hope all of you have a blessed weekend and can one way or another, experience being homeward bound again.

BTW – My Noles beat N.C. State last night and the Red Sox hitter who had the walk-off hit, J.D. Drew, was a Seminole.

Comments:
"Homeward Bound"..........conjures up wonderful feelings. Isn't it great that our "mind's eye" can take us home through both memory and hope.
 
Was this Jeff's dad?
 
Any Simon & Garfunkel is pretty good stuff.

Sure was pulling for the Rays last night!
 
I was bummed to find out the Rays lost...I've rooted for them second only to my Angels all year...but since I was in class I had to miss the game. This only means I get to watch them beat the Sox this weekend.

"Tonight I'll sing my songs again, I'll play the game...and pretend."
 
Judy - Yes it is.

Greg - No, Ron's.

Trey - Never get tired of them. I watched the whole game last night with my son. It was unbelievable. You have to know that the Sox's 3 - 0 and 3 - 1 rallys to win previous Series is going to mess the Ray's heads.
 
Steve - Hopefully the slanted dome will bring the Rays good karma. If not, perhaps the Angels can loan their Rally Monkey?

Love those lyrics.
 
Sounds like all roads lead to Florida....

Have a great weekend...I will pull for your Rays
 
wow...a "gentle thunder.” ...you so described Ron. I never knew his dad but to raise such a wonderful son, I can only imagine what a man he was. I know, that Ron's dad is in a much better place

On another note....everyone needs to see Fireproof...a must see movie. I was leary about seeing it but I am so glad I did.
 
Here's hoping the Rays don't see the World Series Slip Sliding Away!

May we all strive to be the kind of people you write about here--those who live on through the lives of those they've touched and blessed.

Blessings to you and yours,

-bill @ spiritual oasis
 
Hey, Cecil -

I just got caught up with all of your past week's posts. I enjoyed them all, very much. I've had a really busy week here this past week and haven't had the chance to read blogs until yesterday afternoon. Sorry about that. But, I've been thinking about you!

I LOVE Simon & Garfunkel and have their double long CD from Central Park, among other things. I also have a great all time hits from Garfunkel that is captivating. Listening to them sure brings back lots and lots of good memories!!

Hope you're having a good day of rest today - and worship - and good weather. It's gorgeous and cool here the past couple of days. Very nice.

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?