Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Thoughts

I failed to mention that Steven showed up when I was grilling hamburgers this past Wednesday. If you can spend some quality time grilling hamburgers and hotdogs, we did it. I showed him what secrets to the craft that I know; he listened, took over at times, and did a great job. Isn’t it amazing how just showing up and spending some time can be the best blessing of the day. I know he was to me.

I also failed to share what I thought was one of the best lines / jokes I’ve heard recently. One of our members, Carl, is in charge of the logistics for the Via de Cristo. I was in the process of loaning him my elevator key when one of his co-workers walked by us. Like Carl, he was a bit overweight and I know Carl wouldn’t mind me saying so. Its probably a male / southern thing. Any way, when his slightly overweight friend walked by us, Carl yelled out, “Hey, I see you beat anorexia too!”

Every guy in that hall way busted out laughing. I am convinced that we are at times, way to “PC” or too serious about ourselves. I’m glad we have a church that can kid and laugh.

I did my 3.2 mile run yesterday down “The River Road” which is just a half block from our church building. I wish I could convey the scenic beauty that I get to enjoy each time I run this route. I’m glad I don’t have the ability to convey the smell that sometimes emanates from some of the decaying sea weed that washes up along the shore of the Indian River Lagoon. Fortunately this time of year the air is crisp and the sea weed melodious.

One of the benefits of our recent renovation was the installation of a shower. I usually can take advantage of it to clean up before heading home or to WW. When I came out after my shower yesterday, the setting of being in the church parking lot and the cool temps reminded me of hanging out with Greg at Long Beach. I don’t know why but there is a particular night whose memory is very clear.

I was in Greg’s back yard which faced the Long Beach Church. The Office Building and the church towered over the wall that surrounded their back yard. We were visiting in the Summer time but the night air felt like now, late October / early November here in Florida. I was outside shooting the basketball and everyone else was inside Greg’s house. I can still hear Steven’s young, little boy laugh as he played with his “cousins,” Josh and Jessica. Greg, Jan, and Barb were inside no doubt enjoying each other’s company. I can remember stopping and having a “Rob Bell” moment where even though I missed my friend and his family who now lived a continent away, we were together and all was well. I think I’m smiling right now as I think of it.

Have a memorable and blessed weekend.

Comments:
I understand missing friends....
 
This being Halloween, I was sure your "Happy Thoughts" would include the grief I gave you over not celebrating Satan's eve!! For the second year in a row, I'm giving out the candy tonight.
 
Happy Thpughts.....sitting on the couch with my husband on a rainy day.
 
I smiled as I imagined you smiling....
 
I love grilling out.
It is one of my favorite things to do.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?